interchange black inks?

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
Hi all, back again with another Q for the Gurus
I have an MX726 running 651 cartridges...C, M, Y and B, together with 1 x 650 B.
I have 6 of the PG650 and just about out of the 651.
My question is:
Is there a way to get the printer to use the PG650 instead of the CLI651?
I don't do any photos or high falutin' printing, I just want to use up what I've got and not have to pay out for more if not needed.
TIA fellers.....and ladies :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is there a way to get the printer to use the PG650 instead of the CLI651?
You could try swapping the chips over from one set of carts to the other..

Edit:- this was not a good reply, bad day I reckon...

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Yes but, if I'm not mistaken, PG is pigment and CLI is dye. Using pigment instead of dye on a Canon printer isn't a good idea.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The pigment cartridge is almost twice as thick as the dye cartridges. So the pigment cartridge cannot be inserted in the dye black place.

But you probably meant making the printer print with pigment black instead of dye black? If you only print plain paper documents and plain paper is selected as printing media only the pigment black ink is used. When you print photos and photo paper is selected the dye (photo) ink is used instead.

Even if you only print plain paper documents dye black ink is still used when doing nozzle cleaning, both manual ordered by the user and automatic ordered by the printer firmware.

Here is a colour test image printed on plain paper using plain paper setting on Canon MP980. The print is viewed in near infrared using a modified webcam. In IR pigment black only is visible, dye black and dye colours are invisible. it is seen that the black used is pigment black, else the webcam would have shown a blank piece of paper:

Test image IR.jpg

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
I didn't want to swap cartridges and/or chips, just get the printer to print from the PG650 tank instead of the CLI651
I only print documents now, usually in black text and occasionally colour on normal reflex paper but no piccies so if I understand what you say PeterBJ, the printer is only going to use the large PG anyway and not the smaller CLI??
If that's the case, problem solved, if not is there any setting to achieve using only the PG tank with the CLI tank still in it's normal slot?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes, if you only print plain paper documents, the only consumption of dye black ink CLI-651 will be for automated and manual print head cleaning.

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
Now c'mon Hat, getting it wrong?? That's not like you......too much Guinness I suspect :weee

Thanks Peter BJ, :bow

Consider it closed.