Inserting Refillable LC-73 Inkjet Cartridges for Brother DCP-J925DW

john.ogrove

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a new Brother DCP-J925DW and have used the first "original" LC-40 that came with the printer. I also purchased a set of LC-73 refillable cartridges. When I try to insert the new refillable cartridge, it is unable to be pushed home into the chamber to allow the top lock release lever to return to the lock position.
This printer uses LC-40 & High Yield LC-73 cartridges.
The refillable cartridges are almost identical in shape and size (except for larger capacity) as the original.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
john.ogrove said:
I have a new Brother DCP-J925DW and have used the first "original" LC-40 that came with the printer. I also purchased a set of LC-73 refillable cartridges. When I try to insert the new refillable cartridge, it is unable to be pushed home into the chamber to allow the top lock release lever to return to the lock position.
This printer uses LC-40 & High Yield LC-73 cartridges.
The refillable cartridges are almost identical in shape and size (except for larger capacity) as the original.
If you take the two cartridges in your hand OEM and compatible together then match them up carefully
you should be able to see any little differences in the compatible one
that is stopping it from fitting perfectly into your printer.

You may need to do a little DIY to trim a bit off the compatible one to get it to an exact copy of the OEM..

john.ogrove

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank for the information Hat.
I have tried the side by side comparison & there are slight differences. I have trimmed one protruding piece (slightly) to match the OEM. The other bottom edge is shorter.
When I insert it into the printer it goes in all the way, but the top release lock does not lock!
The slot on top for the release clip appears the same, but the compatible one does not have the same quality finish as the OEM.
Wondering if this may affect it?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The main reason to only refill OEM Canon carts!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman The main reason to only refill OEM Canon carts!
Sorry Joe but we were trying to solve a problem with a compatible cartridge in a Brother and not a Canon printer
and I do agree that OEMs are better but John had already bought this cartridge and doesnt want to waste it.
john.ogrove
When I insert it into the printer it goes in all the way, but the top release lock does not lock!
The slot on top for the release clip appears the same, but the compatible one does not have the same quality finish as the OEM.
You could try trimming the locking clip just a tad or bending it so it becomes smaller, so long as the clip in all the way it wont matter.
You could also try removing the ink from the compatible and injecting it into your OEM cartridge..:)

john.ogrove

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
Will try a little more trimming to see if I can get a fit and lock! I think that not all refillable cartridges are as precisely manufactured as the OEM.
May have a go at refilling OEM, now I have a supply of ink as well!
Do you have any good links to follow for refilling Brother OEM. (most of the ones I have found are in Non-English languages.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
john.ogrove said:
Thanks for the help.
Will try a little more trimming to see if I can get a fit and lock! I think that not all refillable cartridges are as precisely manufactured as the OEM.
May have a go at refilling OEM, now I have a supply of ink as well!
Do you have any good links to follow for refilling Brother OEM. (most of the ones I have found are in Non-English languages.
Here is a link to InkOwls video instructions on
how to refill a compatible cartridge for the Brother printer, I hope this is a help to you.

If you need more help or instructions on anything then try Emailing Andrea directly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B22u9OIyCc
andrea@inkowl.com

InkOwl used to have a Banner at the top of page but it seems to have vacated that position..:idunno

john.ogrove

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for all you help.
Will do a little more exploring.

alienfaxo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I had gone through the post. The insertion of the Refillable LC-73 Cartridge for Brother Dcp-j925dw is one of the best topics to discuss. They should posses some important characteristics as clear plastic structure easy for ink level checking. Reusable plugs for easy refilling and man others. Please provide some more attachments.

Toner Cartridges
canon inkjet cartridges

jack in the uk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had this with the Brother DCP6690CW, they do not interchange with the big MFC's if my memory's right, then getting the originals back in a pain the lock downs are not the best design and takes a wiggle to get them in sure the far left cartridge was K and a little fatter in physical size, i found easier to take the all out and work one by one left to right

if you not got manufactures cartridges then reading what your saying if you matched them up 100% correct something catching

is it all cartridges or just one