Inktec resin coated pigment inks in epson xp-850 all in one printer

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you are raising good questions, please let me address some of those

- octopus-office in Germany has a wide product range, including OCP inks, but as well others, and I have seen
some Inktec inks as well, but not all of their range. They have a pretty quick turn around time for orders.

- The OCP inks are o.k., I wouldn't say they are better than other inks, I don't use them anymore, I don't like the
gloss of the pigment inks, and had a funny problem that a cyan pigment ink (glossy) was actually pretty matte
on one type of glossy paper which looked very strange, and as I mentioned - this effect showed up only on
one type
of glossy paper. I may be the only one having this effect, so don't take that as a negative rating. And I had another funny effect with a dye cyan giving me a bronzing effect, I saw something like that the first time, again - nobody else may see that, or I'm looking for such effects too closely. And since there are other suppliers and products without these effects I'm covered.

- Inktec pigment inks - I tested them, I don't like the gloss of the photo black, it is too shiny with a metallic
effect, visibly different to other pigment inks. I have commented in more detail the complexity of pigment
inks in combination with different glossy papers in other threads already, I would not like to give a general advise and
recommendation for a pigment ink since only the combination with the paper makes the final result.
Test some papers of your interest and observe the effects with pigment inks - gloss differential between inks - gloss
differential of the individual colors gainst the gloss of the paper, you always have some white area in your
prints - and bronzing, an effect that mostly black and cyan take a different bronze like color in reflecting
light. And inks , the black inks differ in their black level, depending as well on the paper.
You only can measure that with an instrument when creating a profile.
Those black level differences are significant, and
have a visual impact on your prints.
The black is a kind of visual anchorpoint for your eye for the perceived contrast of an image.

- I have used this year more than 10 different dye inks and about 6-8 different pigment inks in various tests,
prints etc. And I have experienced an effect several times over the last years that yellow inks are not
compatible with each other and flocking out and the flocks settling to the bottom of the bottle or cartridge when mixed together.
This did not happen frequently, so I overlooked that effect several times, I forgot it somehow and killed an
L300 printer this way. The effect occurred with dye+dye and as well with pigment+dye. And normally I just
take a few ml of one yellow ink and a few ml of the other yellow, mix it in a small glass and observe it, the
reaction happens immediately, and the fallout settles within minutes, so in that case I flush that one yellow
out of the ink tubes, cartridges whatever before I refill with the other yellow ink brand.
I don't really need a strong cleaner for the flushing , I'm using this one
http://www.octopus-office.de/en/sho...olution-for-the-inside-of-printer-cartridges/

I observed this type of incompatibility only with yellow inks, that is the background for my advise for flushing the ink system when changing to the inks of another supplier.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
And I have experienced an effect several times over the last years that yellow inks are not compatible with each other and flocking out and the flocks settling to the bottom of the bottle or cartridge when mixed together.

This did not happen frequently, so I overlooked that effect several times, I forgot it somehow and killed an L300 printer this way. The effect occurred with dye+dye and as well with pigment+dye. And normally I just take a few ml of one yellow ink and a few ml of the other yellow, mix it in a small glass and observe it, the reaction happens immediately, and the fallout settles within minutes, so in that case I flush that one yellow out of the ink tubes, cartridges whatever before I refill with the other yellow ink brand.
Just a thought but it's well worth checking that any cleaning solution you're intending to use does not have have the same sort of reaction as described above... Last thing you want is a cleaning solution that actually creates a poor reaction rather than helping to avoid one.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I think it's wise to test it in a dish, piece of glass etc. etc. and see what happens first.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think it's wise to test it in a dish, piece of glass etc. etc. and see what happens first.

that's what I do because I found those incompatibilities several times, with Canon refill inks, with Epson inks when switching from one brand to another. The effect does not occur frequently, rare enough to forget it once in a while, but when I recall those it's about 5-8 in the last 15 years, not more. So if you stick to one supplier for a longer time you may not see it ever.
The octopus-office rinsing solution is fine, there are no adverse effects since I use it as well to dilute C and M to the light colors - dye and pigment .

Last edited: