inkproducts.com review, HP officejet 6500 CIS

caitsith2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
I got my HP officejet 6500 less than a month ago, as a result of an order through airmiles, about a month prior. Even before said printer had arrived, I had started looking at refilling solutions and was led to CIS systems for the printer.

Ultimately, I came to a choice of two different CIS systems, and decided on inkproducts.com's system, based on positive reviews, and a better price. Pretty much, when the printer had arrived, I did start printing on the cartridges it came with. Within a couple of days of getting the printer, I placed an order for the CIS system for that printer.

Within 9 days, that CIS system arrived. Took me less than an hour to install the system. I did a print test page, saw some slight color blending, probably a result of ink chemistry. An inkjet printhead cleaning cycle took care of that. Following that, I printed over 100 Full 8 1/2 x 11 full color photos. Quality came out consistent.

One thing that is nice with the Officejet 6500 (and 6000/7000, using same 920/920XL carts), is that you can IGNORE the out of ink messages on the printer, and continue printing anyways. About 2-3 cycles for each color, reminding you that said color might be out, (that page does finish printing in these events.), and one FINAL event, stating that color is DEPLETED, (printing totally stops.). Regardless of ALL of these events, you can just HIT the OK button to say continue printing anyways. The final depleted message, if you use the full HP driver suite, does bring up a thing about anti-counterfeiting, not that it applies here, since we know that this is not being sold to mislead customers.

Needless to say, according to the chips being used, the ones that came with the original cartridges of the printer, All four of them are flagged as depleted, ink quantity showing on printer LCD screen as [?], and the photos are still coming out as good quality.

I did a quick calculation on ink volume in the external ink tanks. Approx. 60 ml per ink tank color. Original cartridges, I measured and checked how much ink was left in the liquid side of the carts. 2ml left in black, nothing in any of the colors. Anything left in the colors, was soaked up in the sponge. (I had used approximately 3/4 of the original ink by the time I installed the CIS system. 920 Cyan/Magenta/Yellow each hold approx 3ml of ink, 920 black holds approx 5ml.) I do not know what any of the 920XL's hold, since a full set of them would have set me back as much as the full CIS system, and I used approx one tenth of the ink, printing the 100 full page photos. I expect anywhere from 900-9000 pages, depending on page content of what else I might print.

I will definitely buy my ink through inkproducts.com, since the system is working out well for me.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Wow!... First time posted and all these wonderful things to say about a product...

Piece of advice if, by some miracle, this isn't a shill post from a "happy employee" (Oops, did I say that out loud?!), I mean't "happy customer"... If you really are a customer do not expect anyone to believe or pay a great deal of heed to the review unless you have been an active member of the community forum you are posting in.

By active, I mean, a contributor, someone who has been registered for quite a while, and also someone who doesn't mention the URL a number of times.

It really doesn't lend a huge amount of credence to the claims either when your post mentions two options but doesn't even list the second...

Oh and nobody real sounds so darned happy either... Printer users are inherently grumpy, with ink stained fingers and at least one minor gripe for any supplier...

Ok, I made up that last bit but please if you wish to be taken seriously post in communities in which you are active, trusted and aren't in the employ of the product/company being discussed.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Did I forget to mention that I hate, despise, would rather use as firewood, etc... shill posters... It's dishonest, cheap and has the exact OPPOSITE effect to the one intended.

If your product is that good, it will get the reviews, if it isn't make it better...

[/rant]

caitsith2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
Ok, I didn't think I needed to mention the other option I had been looking at. The one I had been looking at, before, was 4inkandmore.com. The one thing they did do different, which explains why it is more expensive, is basically hook right into a full set of new HP 920 cartridges. One plus side of that, is that you don't have to pull the chip from existing cartridges. ( http://www.4inkandmore.com/cartridg...or-inking-system-printer-hewlett-p-10308.html ). I had also looked at getting a cheap refill kit and bulk ink via ebay as well.

In regards, I have a video showing the printer with CIS in action, as well as the source images, which I sent to the printer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uezU0CAP3xU - printer in action, both with lid up, and lid down. (In order to print with lid up, you have to bypass the lid sensor. Very easy to do with a piece of paper, and tape to hold that paper in place.)
http://caitsith2.com/ciss/ - source images, and final printouts of the source images. None of these final printouts were printed on photo paper, just plain staples brand multiuse paper.

While I may be a "newbie" here, I am actually active in video game and emulation related scenes.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
... and I owe you an apology...

I've had to deal with a number of sleepless nights recently due to a teething 6 month old, a problem in the form of someone playing less than "fair" with my resources and unfortunately you copped it. No excuse really but normally I'm at least a little more diplomatic.

The points I raised, albeit bluntly, are still valid but the context you've provided helps so if humble pie is your thing, I have plenty to go around... *slopes off to the corner*

dswartz1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
so you don't need a chip reseter if you are filling the cartridges and not using a CIS with this printer (HP 6500)? I bought this printer but have not taken it out of the box yet, am still looking at the options for the best printer to refill. I had a Canon iP3500 and bought the chip reseter for it, worked great :) until it got zapped in a thunderstorm:(

caitsith2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
No chip resetter appears to be required on the 6500. The only thing you will have to do, for a few times, is acknowledge the low, and totally out of ink warnings, once for each cartridge.

My system is still working great by the way.