Inkjet printable disk printers

iP4XXX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610, Canon iP4200
easytimes said:
Makes you wonder why Canon won't let people in the US print disks, but Europeans are free to do it. Do they really think we're the only ones who can pirate disks? Are there many people who can't tell the difference between pressed and burned... silk screened and inkjet printed? Makes my blood boil, just a little.
From what I have heard and read, the disabling of CD/DVD printing on U.S. Canon printers has to do with a patent held by Epson.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
easytimes said:
Makes you wonder why Canon won't let people in the US print disks
Because Epson holds the patent in the US. The only option is to buy a printer destined for other markets or hack them.

ADDED: Sorry iP4XXX, I didn't see your post before posting mine.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
easytimes
Funny you should mention hearing of CDs degrading and not have had any problems yourself.
I have used many different brand named discs in the past but settled on Verbatim Matt printable discs and they now have the same problem as all the rest, as soon as this batch of 50 runs out I am changing to something else (Taiyo Yuden) if I can get them.
Thank you for that recommendation, but I may have to settle for the JVC brand.. :)

easytimes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
easytimes
but I may have to settle for the JVC brand.. :)
I'm not sure how they market JVC disks in the brick and mortar stores, or if Taiyo Yuden product has gotten into their retail packaged inventory stream... but the disks I buy are now marked JVC, then in smaller letters it says "Joint Venture of Taiyo Yuden Co. and Victor Co. of Japan." It's a very industrial looking label and says "for Professional Use", in bold print across the bottom of the label. I buy the tape wrapped 100 disk stack. If it's okay to mention, I get mine at Supermediastore.com... and I know that Meritline was carrying them for a few cents more per disk. I buy enough that the vendor writes "Where have you gone" messages, when I make a big sale purchase, and fail to buy as regularly.

When the tax mongrels have their way, my online purchases may reduce markedly. Of course, I'm not really so sure... I live in a poorly served area, as far as retail tech merchandise is concerned. Once they start putting sales tax on mail order items... they'll just cost a lot more. I'll still be building computers, and you surely can't do that by shopping locally, unless you want retail stores to order the stuff for you. That's scary.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Taiyo Yuden disks are now marketed under the JVC name. There still is old stock before the JVC-TYY merger available. There are essentially four versions of Inkjet Printable disks from the company that I know of:

1) Silver Inkjet Printable

2) Matte White Inkjet Printable

3) Glossy Watershield Inkjet Printable

4) Semi-Glossy Print Plus Inkjet Printable.

These may come in DVD+R, DVD-R, and CD-R formats. The DVD+R and CD-R disks are some of the best ever made for nearly every burner available that can burn those formats. The DVD-R can be finicky with some burners - ie the disk quality scans may not be all that great even though the Transfer Rate Test and playability is fine. The longevity of TY disks is quite good. FYI - there is the Premium line and a Value line (which costs less and which some consider to be the "B" versions). The Value line may produce lesser quality scans and/or at the same speed as the Premium line, though a lot of people seem to enjoy them a great deal. It's up to you.

One other thing, Verbatim has been a superb manufacturer for years, though their new lower priced disks are believed to be inferior compared to their past disks. One thing you can do to pre-determine how disks MIGHT perform in your burner is to check out discussions on your burner at http://club.myce.com/f46/.

Lastly, consider Falcon disks, specifically the Pro line made in the United Arab Emirate (MIUAE or UAE), for a lower cost alternative. I have a few of their DVD-R FTI 16X with a manufacturer ID (MID) of TTH02 in Matte Inkjet Hub Printable that burn great in my Lite-On iHAS 524 and Samsung SH-S243N. Read the MYCE.com threads on Falcon disks or those disks tested on your burner to see which of the Falcon line is preferred. Their FalconPro DVD+R DL disks are the only other DL disks I would purchase besides Verbatim's maide in Singapore.

Those looking for Falcon disks in various countries, check out the distributor/office list at http://www.falconrak.com/agents_and_distributors.html. For Taiyo Yuden distributors/offices in Europe, check out http://www.taiyo-yuden.com/contact.htm. Someone should be able to tell you who is your nearest authorized retailer.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
easytimes said:
The Hat said:
easytimes
but I may have to settle for the JVC brand.. :)
I'm not sure how they market JVC disks in the brick and mortar stores, or if Taiyo Yuden product has gotten into their retail packaged inventory stream... but the disks I buy are now marked JVC, then in smaller letters it says "Joint Venture of Taiyo Yuden Co. and Victor Co. of Japan." It's a very industrial looking label and says "for Professional Use", in bold print across the bottom of the label. I buy the tape wrapped 100 disk stack. If it's okay to mention, I get mine at Supermediastore.com... and I know that Meritline was carrying them for a few cents more per disk. I buy enough that the vendor writes "Where have you gone" messages, when I make a big sale purchase, and fail to buy as regularly.

When the tax mongrels have their way, my online purchases may reduce markedly. Of course, I'm not really so sure... I live in a poorly served area, as far as retail tech merchandise is concerned. Once they start putting sales tax on mail order items... they'll just cost a lot more. I'll still be building computers, and you surely can't do that by shopping locally, unless you want retail stores to order the stuff for you. That's scary.
Any disks found in the USA stating Made In Japan are more than likely keepers. Most likely they are unbranded, branded, or rebranded TY/JVC's.

My first purchase from Meritline years ago turned out to be bogus. The so-called Premium line TY's were actually Value line and meant for Mexico and not USA distribution. They were crap. Taiyo Yuden was awesome in helping me out. Meritline were asses and only relented after I told them I would sue them in federal court in my town (other side of country for them) as well as notify the BBB and the Attorney General of California of their fraudulent business practices. They finally figured out I meant business and gave me a refund. Now, years later, I have made some judicious purchases from Meritline and all has been well.

As usual... buyer beware.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I read in a computer mag recently that Using a CD writing pen on disks causes the ink to burn into the top surface of the disk making it unuseable after about 6 years. Also the article stated that using stick on labels has the same effect. Recommendation was to use print to cd face function.

However, from personal experience I have found that I have lost data with stick on labels but as yet using a CD pen writer hasn't caused me a problem and I have disks going back to 1998.

The only safe way is to make double back ups and check every 5 years or so. You can also write in the inner circle part of the disk to be on the safe side. However, I don't have any great confidence in the longevity of CDs or DVDs and any important data should be copied every 2-3 years IMO.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sharpie and other manufacturers make permanent markers specifically formulated for disks. These are preferred for handwriting onto disks over the regular formulated permanent marking pens.

Scroll down a little in this link to see other brands/types of CD/DVD marking pens: hxxp://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Permanent-Markers-Marker-37401/dp/B001E6C1XS

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
A great thank you to all you Guys for the information on CDs. :)

I seem to have started a whole new tread on disc longevity, Ops sorry.
I most definitely will look at JVC for my next discs..

Now back to the dreaded US Canon / Epson disc printing battle, the plot thickens .. :lol:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
Now back to the dreaded US Canon / Epson disc printing battle, the plot thickens .. :lol:
Don't forget about HP disk printing. Additionally, you can get CISS systems which work with the printers (supposedly).