Inkjet or maybe something else?

Blueiced

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum lately and it's really great with lots of information and tips.
Hope you can answer my question you guys! :D

I'm looking to buy a printer and I'm a little confused.
I will not print much - about 10-30 pages a month. I want to buy a 3in1 device so I can scan also.

My choice is Canon MP520. It has a lot of ink offers around the Internet and the reviews are quite good.
I want excellent text printing and good quality photos (occasionally).

I'm worried that the inkjet printer might get clogged. I can buy a cheap laser printer but will I get the quality (the scanners on them are 600x1200dpi and printing is also limited to 600x600 or 600x1200dpi)?

I hear different opinions about ink refills. Is it true that using not original Canon inks will damage my printer? In what way? There are companies like IncTek which say their inks are with high "quality"? Can I damage my printer by using these inks?

It's really important for me to choose the right printer cause I'm not gonna buy another one any time soon.
I thought about laser printer and a good scanner but it costs more for me that way?

Soo can you give me some advice and sorry for the long post!? :p

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
If you need robust device that you rarely use and don't need color go for laser multifunction. If you need color then the only choice is Canon MP series. Make sure you refill original cartridges and flush them after some time. Don't trust compatibles unless you want to get leaks or other problems associated with poor printing.

Go for good ink manufacturer like InkTec and you should not have any problems. Refill by "german" method.

Cleancity

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I cannot tell which series in which brand is better. Because I am not so professional as Smile. I entered "tips for buying a printer" on Google and found this link: http://www.tucows.com/article/1268 helpful. As the writer suggests, please consider cost for printer supplies carefully. Because it is much more expensive than a printer itself.

Blueiced

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers. I've been reading even more in the forum and now I feel better about refilling and stuff. So I will probably go with the Pixma.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The 520 only has 4 cartridges..it does NOT have the photo black cli-8. When you need black for photos, the 520 will use the 3 colours to make black.
i would suggest you get a model that has the 5 cartidges....