Ink residue on nozzles in brand new Epson!?

sublimevizion

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello all. I recently bought a brand new Epson WF 7010 from my local Office Max. Before i installed the ink cartridges i noticed that there was already ink residue on the nozzles in the carriage! Sure enough as the first few test prints came out the print head was already clogged! I exchanged the printer the next day and once again the new printer had residue on the nozzles before i ever used the printer! I'll be going back tomorrow to return this new printer. My question is... Does Epson ever test print in the factory before shipping? I doubt if they do that they'd leave any residue in the printer. Unless Office Max is reselling used printers as new i have no idea how these brand new printers would have ink residue in them. I have an Epson 1400, 2200, 1100, and a 4800 and i've never noticed any ink on the nozzles before use on any of them. Any thoughts guys?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi, there is no ink residue for brand new Epson printer.

I am not too sure where your local Office Max source the printhead from.

By this is my experience. I had ever bought Epson printhead from chinese seller who claimed to be totally new. But in fact when I received they were refurnished. With refurnished printhead the possibility of it performing like new is only 50%. Either they were marginally ok or they were printing badly. The nozzles can be deflated or not aligned so far apart such that no amount of head cleaning or realignment can resolved. Sometime these chinese seller sourced them in big box batch. As they are not individually packed, and during shipping they could be missed handle or tumbled during transit and the nozzle plate could scratched against one another when the chinese seller received them. These chinese seller then repack to small box white box and sell them. These chinese sellers also like to claimed that the printhead is tested by Epson or by themselves that is why you see color ink residue.

So one someone who sell you the printer, could also sell you one where they replaced with a brand new printhead. And if they happened to get the printhead from Chinese seller who claimed to be new. They might not have know the condition of the printhead which they sell to you. That is why one had to be caution when you purchase printhead from Chinese.

FussyBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I thought all new print heads contain a protection/lubricating solution so they won't corrode during storage. New Canon print heads definitely have this, so maybe the Epson ones do also.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
FussyBob said:
I thought all new print heads contain a protection/lubricating solution so they won't corrode during storage. New Canon print heads definitely have this, so maybe the Epson ones do also.
what he meant is ink residue not protective lubricating solution in the printhead. That is as if it has been used.
Brand new Canon printhead has this protective lubricating solution and it's a form of blue liquid and not colorless liquid like some found from refurbished canon printhead.