Ink pooling under print head on a Canon S300

ian_hill

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon S300 and a Canon MPC190. Both use the same print head and BCI-24 black cartridges (handy). One of the print heads has started dribbl;ing black ink continually and not printing. I take the ink carts and head out and there's a huge pool of ink accumulated under the head. If I clean the ink up, reassemble the carts and head and print something, the pages print OK until the pool of ink accumulates again. I swapped print heads between the two printers to prove that the problem is not the printer nor the cart but the head itself.

Other symptoms: print head seems to starve of ink when in Normal or higher quality, resulting in incomplete text printing. This is of course before the ink starts to pool too heavily - at that stage printing stops completely!

When the ink starving first occurred, I used warm water to clean the head. I know it's not the same as what is promoted here. Perhaps I should try the Windex approach, but with symptoms like I've got, it's as though I "need" a blockage to stop the ink dribbling out!!! :)

Appreciate any thoughts. Price for a replacement head in Australia is around AUD$120, which is probably more than the S300 is worth, so probably not a goer. Pity the US shops, who can sell the head for about AUD$60 will not post to Australia!!!