Ink Level Indication in CLI-8 Carts on PRO9000 Mk 11 and other stuff

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Thank you to all the participants in these forums. Although mainly a "Lurker" I have benefited greatly from the invaluable advice and help written in these forums, and am now successfully refilling my CLI-8 Carts.

My Question: What triggers the ink level indication in the Canon PRO 9000 Mk 11?

Does the chip count ink squirts/volume or is there some other method that actually evaluates the ink level in the cartridge.

I have a "German Method" cyan cart that is now more than half empty, but the on-screen indicators still show it as full.

Guess I won't know if the problem lies with the cartridge, or my refill technique, or the printer until I change carts, which will be in next day or so.

For the record I activated my Pro9000 Mk 11 on Jan 13 this year. After burning through the original 8 carts I have used 9 refills. In Canada Staples charges C$22 incl tax per cart which would have been a total of C$198. This is more or less what I paid for supplies which should last me the rest of the year. Not being independently wealthy this is the only way I could indulge my printing habit.

Thanks again to all the participants in this forum. I don't post much but read all the new posts.

Roy Sletcher
Grumpy old man and curmudgeon.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Most Canon printers have just a few levels that they select between, full, half-full, low, and empty. These levels are not describing the amount of ink in the reservoir but of both the reservoir and the sponge part of the cartridge. So typically, you will not see the level drop from full to half-full until the reservoir is quite a bit below half-full.

With the chipped cartridges like the CLI-8, the ink level is determined as you suggested by counting ink squirts.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Roy - Even for those of us who can afford the OEM inks it is a pleasure to beat the system and still get good results.

Sometimes a grumpy old man as well!