Ink Inkt cardrige replace solution for all printers ? ( canon IP4300 )

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Sirman said:
Can you tell me why they developed a hardware resetter ?
Yes... it was so that third party cartridge manufacturers could get back to selling cheaper alternatives to Canon cartridges. The prices for the resetters are deliberately set very high $500+ because those are the people buying them.

and my colour cardriges did not want a reset the usual way and they totaly dimmend , happend After 48 hours printer standby = dooing nothing , in the mean while i did some computer restarts .. then notisched this dimmed problem but allmost with full OEM ink levels .. , i re-used the cardrige ( chip) just for a thirt time and used it several times so uhmm what happend i dont know. Now the screenwarning appaers at the moment i wanted to print, I get a warning i must replace the ink cardriges , my resets wont help anymore , so 4 leds dammaged ? unlikely ...
I couldn't comment on your particular situation but I do know that I've got 6 Canon printers in this room and another 7 in schools and they ALL work despite all being reset (accept warranty condition). I've done a lot to these printers and never been able to recreate the problem you and one or two (out of hundreds) people have had.

A few things to check.
1. The back of the chip is clear of any glue, gunk, etc... that could be blocking the LED
2. The chip is seated properly in the cartridge
3. There's nothing blocking the chip sensor in the printer
4. The pins that read the chips in the printhead carriage (the bit that holds the printhead and cartridges) aren't bent or damaged.

" Conclusion " mayby the countdown continues also if you dont use the printer !
I think you'll find that's a "theory", not a "conclusion"... There are quite a few of us who have Canon Pixma printers that are now 2 years old. I think you're guessing but who knows maybe there's a firmware version that was tested out there that does have this sort of "doomsday switch". I have my doubts though.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Ip4300 is already discontinued. The replacement is ip4500 with a higher nozzle count. So it is a beefed up replacement. The price is over $100 but that's still not expensive. It is the best text/photo in terms of price/performance and easiest to refill printer in the market. But of course this is just my opinion. Canon has some cheaper printer at below $50. Those use PG-40 and CL-41 with print heads on them. Still they are easy to refill and quality wise just about the same with ip4500 except they are slower.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Sorry for budding in. But does this brother knows that even if he goes out and buy a new canon printer, he will still face the same situation? That is, he will not be able to monitor the ink level via software and the led will still be dim after a reset unless he owns that expensive hardware resetter. Most of us, who after resetting or disabling the ink level monitor acknowleding voiding the warranty at the dialogue prompt, are currently monitoring the ink level manually.

I hope he don't go and assume he will be able to monitor ink level via software in new canon machine after a reset or whatever without owning that expensive hardware resetter.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
You need to understand that ink level status is only an estimate based on the nozzle firing count stored in the chip. The printer will not know that you have refilled the cartridge. It will not know how much ink you have put in. So if Canon did not turn off ink level status the ink level status would be still totally off. The ink level status would be useless anyway. If you have a BCI-6 based printer you probably have noticed that the ink level on those old printers are pretty useless too. The only really impact caused by refilling for printers like ip4300 and ip4500 is from missing the ink empty detection. With ink empty detection disabled you could really empty the ink cartridges and still keep going. I have been there, many times. I realized that my ink had run out only after seeing the print with missing pixles. No need to worry. Every time it happened to me I just refill immediately. Everything worked then without even invoking cleaning cycles manually. So refilling these Canon printers are really the easiest among all other printers.

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have found some new understandings of ink indication and want to use share it for experiment , for a better understanding of this i have a picture here .

2952_printer_ip4200.jpg

In the rail are two sensors build in . These sensors receive the ( broken coloure ) lights that the led on the chip shines, the chip that sticks on every cardrige

Only both sensors can measure correctly , problably one for the maximal and one for minimal levels and uses the ink prisma lockated in the cardrige bottom . I Think how it works . A rail in situation at one moment under one cardrige : because of light breakings in the prisma .. one sensor receives a diffuse light while the other has a sharp light in the middle of his sensor - taken in one moment - of rail-distance under the cardrige, you can say that this result in a half empty signal . When both sensors receive the same brightness then clearly the cardrige is empty .. the prisma is no longer the mean light bringer , When both still in the dark , the cardrige is full.. I think the two rail sensors are split for this reason and also to identify and stop at a right position .

I think in setup ... that a new neutral chip only receive a colour code when inserted in the cardrige adopter for the first time .. and reived the code - only in relation - with the 2 rail colour sensors .. Then the user countdown can go on in the new markert chip .

My opinion that there is no sensor on the chip : the cardrige chip itself and the led can not measure any level reson : the light from the led is far to bright to know when there was a reflected light received from in the ink level so in other words , the light goes only outside and never received back by a sensor there , a sensor simple dont excist on the chip !

Now i had a strange economic ;) idea but know now the sensors need the help of the led , so i need to think further about a alternative ..

Surgestion 1 : Transport the mesurements outside the printer . -- oke .. here is only A look to the working principe , realising this is not the handsomest way ---

A - Look at the sensors in the rail ( our buy the same ) and build it outside the printer
B - Transport the led ligts

Note : I notisch that all the pins are parallel connected .. this means you only have to adoption of one 4-pin lip-contacts for making a parallel connection with all the cardriges . :)

1 - Take 5 (new) chiped cardriges and bind theme together but take note for the distance , each cardrige have to be sepperate and darkend there with black tape as a indication for the sensor that each cardrige is unique =
2 * - Make from household repair wire / say for repairing a shirt / and bind-hook it at the cardrige adopter and lead this throu the printer , make a hole in ( both) the printer side and stick it trou .. this wire will be used for moving the sensor ..
3 - Now the inside must be copie to the outside ... for making the same measuring as the printer do in inside .. in other words .. no real measuring in the printer for this , but only in the outside cardriges with the moving sensor instead of moving the 5 cardriges .

:p The theorie is that you dont need the leds inside the printer now , use only ledless cardriges !

* you can use a iron pin of length to do this like the same .. but then it becomes very broad

Well, lets think about it , i believe this has a chance so have fun !

More photos details see http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1506&p=15

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I hate to say it but you're essentially repeating all the work that's been done with the German alternative chip kit... That said you are definitely explaining how they arrived at some aspects of their design...

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
I hate to say it but you're essentially repeating all the work that's been done with the German alternative chip kit... ..
:mad: Websnail.. You mean the resetter for Canon chps .. that is a total differante thing and far to expensive ( 450 euro ) :)
This smart principe can be made by yourself in whatever printers there are ! I am shure nobody came up with this excellent idea all over ink-jet . :lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sirman said:
websnail said:
I hate to say it but you're essentially repeating all the work that's been done with the German alternative chip kit... ..
:mad: Websnail.. You mean the resetter for Canon chps .. that is a total differante thing and far to expensive ( 450 euro ) :)
This smart principe can be made by yourself in whatever printers there are ! I am shure nobody came up with this excellent idea all over ink-jet . :lol:
No... that is NOT what I meant. The resetter is totally different and I don't think I even suggested it!.

What I was referring to was this common link between all five chips... If you look around you'll find that there is a discussion about it on here:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1525

This seems to be indicate that your comment here:
Note : I notisch that all the pins are parallel connected .. this means you only have to adoption of one 4-pin lip-contacts for making a parallel connection with all the cardriges . smile
... has already been discovered and incorporated into a design.

Rather than reinventing the wheel a couple of times it does look like you'd benefit from reading all the old discussion on stuff like the chipped canon cartridges because you appear to have missed a lot of it.

Sirman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
Sirman said:
websnail said:
No... that is NOT what I meant. The resetter is totally different and I don't think I even suggested it!.

What I was referring to was this common link between all five chips... If you look around you'll find that there is a discussion about it on here:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1525

This seems to be indicate that your comment here:
Note : I notisch that all the pins are parallel connected .. this means you only have to adoption of one 4-pin lip-contacts for making a parallel connection with all the cardriges . smile
... has already been discovered and incorporated into a design.

Rather than reinventing the wheel a couple of times it does look like you'd benefit from reading all the old discussion on stuff like the chipped canon cartridges because you appear to have missed a lot of it.
Uhmm Websnail , you are jalouse man thats very clear , i dont need you to tell me what i not knew about , reinventing the wheel ? go to sleep i am buzzy and your "ideas" are not new if you know what i mean !

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sirman said:
Uhmm Websnail , you are jalouse man thats very clear , i dont need you to tell me what i not knew about , reinventing the wheel ? go to sleep i am buzzy and your "ideas" are not new if you know what i mean !
I think I've said all I can constructively say... If you want to misinterpret then fine... Good luck...