Ink for Epson CX7400

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I purchased a CX7400 CIS some time ago and it's been working ok but now some confusion arises. The original Durabrite Ultra is described as pigment ink but the ink from my CIS seller is described as "Special Dye ink ( Not universal ink)" :

http://cgi.ebay.com/REFILL-INK-FOR-...cmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Toner?hash=item3ef8be5509

I emailed him but no response yet.

It seems to be working out fine but shouldn't there be problems putting dye ink in a pigment printer?

Wetting the paper does not cause it to run badly so maybe it is actually pigment contrary to the website?

How do you tell the difference?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Pigment ink will not run on plain paper if it gets wet and pigment ink will not soak into normal glossy photo paper.

Print a nozzle check on plain paper, let it dry, dribble water across the page, does the ink run? If yes, it is dye ink.

Print a nozzle check on normal (not made by Epson for DURABrite ink) glossy photo paper, let it dry, wipe the image with a paper towel, does the ink wipe away? If yes, it is pigment ink.

Doing these two tests may show that you have a mixture of dye and pigment.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The ink does not run so I guess it's pigment. A real disappointment because it's very expensive.

I'm going to run the same test on my other printers (r300, r200, r280) to see what's up there. I'll also run the yello/black mix test.

So if I flush properly then it may be possible to switch over to dye?

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tests show my other printers are dye which is also confusing because google has many selling Durabrite (pigment) carts for them. All 30 or so vendors I checked for cx7400 ink say it's dye including the one I got my CIS from. But Epson specifies pigment and that's what's in the CIS I bought contrary to the CIS site.

Looks like none of these guys have a clue what they are really selling. Maybe best bet is to get ink from the same guy who sold me the CIS but they want $20 for 16 oz..

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Pigment ink is usually more expensive than dye. Why are you disappointed that your expensive ink is pigment?

It may be possible to switch over to dye but why would you buy a printer designed for pigment and then put dye in it?

melkin1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My Daughter has the Epson R360 Printer and they appear to be very thirsty with the ink. I have managed to get a chip resetter which appears to work but I'm looking for on advice on the best way to refill the carts. ie. where is the best place to drill a hole in the cart without causing a problem with the sensors etc?
Can anyone advise?

melkin1

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Pigment ink is usually more expensive than dye. Why are you disappointed that your expensive ink is pigment?

It may be possible to switch over to dye but why would you buy a printer designed for pigment and then put dye in it?
Two reasons. First my other Epsons use dye and second, because pigment ink is more expensive than dye. The waterproffing is less important to me (maybe).

I'm mostly upset that the vendors are creating such massive confusion. I hate being confused.

It's beginning to look like the best course is to just keep buying more CIS systems since they come with the same amount as the bulk bottles but only cost a little more. I'll just stack the extra carts/chips/tanks in the closet. :rolleyes:

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
melkin1 said:
My Daughter has the Epson R360 Printer and they appear to be very thirsty with the ink. I have managed to get a chip resetter which appears to work but I'm looking for on advice on the best way to refill the carts. ie. where is the best place to drill a hole in the cart without causing a problem with the sensors etc?
Can anyone advise?

melkin1
My advice is go with CIS instead. Refilling takes ten time more time and effort (more like 100x over life of the printer). It's been so long since I filled an Epson cart I forgot details but there's dozens of examples on the net. I recall it was nothing but trouble.

Also it's been my experience that removing/installing carts is the biggest cause of failure so better to never do that. The only printer left that I refill is a Canon and I avoid removing those carts too and only fill from the top.