Information on refilling Epson and HP cartridges

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
I have to replace a Canon iP4600 which has died. I've been refilling it (German method) for about 18 months. In 18 months I have never printed a photo. I really just want a printer that prints text and colour at a reasonable speed and quality with hardware duplex, and that can be refilled without too much trouble. The iP4600 was fine for my purposes.

I think I have a reasonable overview of the refilling options and printers available if I get another Canon; I'll swap the chips from the new carts into my existing CLI-521 carts and get a resetter. But I want to check out Epson and HP as well, and know nothing about the refilling process for them. I've tried searching on the Epson and HP forums for a useful post, but without much success.

I read on the Canon refilling forum that refilling Epsons is much more difficult than Canon (or was before Canon started targetting refilling heavily). But then I found something that implies you can buy refillable Epson cartridges that are easy to add ink to. So maybe I should switch to Epson.

When I started refilling Canon cartridges, I found helpful posts by Pharmacist and others that gave me a good idea of what was involved. Can anyone suggest where there is a good overview of the options for refilling Epson and HP cartridges in the current generation of printers and what are the problems in doing it. Or alternatively suggest how I should search to try to find useful posts. I have tried.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
FryingSaucer said:
In 18 months I have never printed a photo. I really just want a printer that prints text and colour at a reasonable speed and quality
Run, don't walk, and get a laser printer.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
In that case I'll consider laser printers.

I did look at them before I started refilling my iP4600, but the capital costs and running costs for a colour laser seemed a good deal higher than buying an inkjet and refilling. Was I wrong, or have colour laser printers become much more competitive in price recently?

sathyakala

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
FryingSaucer said:
I did look at them before I started refilling my iP4600, but the capital costs and running costs for a colour laser seemed a good deal higher than buying an inkjet and refilling. Was I wrong, or have colour laser printers become much more competitive in price recently?
Do let us know what you find. When I bought a new printer few months back, I wanted a color printer which is cheap as the main purpose was for my children to use for school assignments. Hence I went for AIO MP258 and didn't look at any laser printer then.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
sathyakala said:
FryingSaucer said:
Do let us know what you find. When I bought a new printer few months back, I wanted a color printer which is cheap as the main purpose was for my children to use for school assignments. Hence I went for AIO MP258 and didn't look at any laser printer then.
I'm planning to buy a Canon multifunction MG5250 for about 75 in the UK. I can't find any colour duplex laser printer for anything near this price, and even if I were not refilling the inkjet, I'm not convinced running costs would be less for the laser printer, probably more.