I'm keeping one Windows XP machine because...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It shouldn’t take you too long to save up the $10 for the cable ! :ya
So far I've found 42 cents and an M&M under the couch cushions. At this rate I'll be installing Windows 9 before I get a new cable. :p

Edit:
Always good to keep in mind Total Cost of Ownership. The Panasonic laser printer is not a widely owned model, like HP's and others, and so the and cost of replacement toner could be prohibitive in the long run. I have refilled toner in the past but found it to be too much a PITA and prefer buying aftermarket toner cartridges. The market for this is drying up (pun intended).

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
...I can reset the waste pad counter on my Artisan 800 (did so tonight).

...I can operate an older EPSOn 32 bit film/flatbed scanner, that 64 bit machines won't run well.

...I can remotely control a tethered old digicam that is no longer supported...
I am somewhat hampered by a basic lack of skills in the IT area, I am a fumbling user, often grouping for hours to solve issues.

Thus (advances backwards) by MS (not the ailment, tho I must confess the way the ailment attacks folks, I feel is very similar to the way Vista, Win7 and now 8 attacks us users) is a real conundrum. I refuse to accept that I am unwilling to embrace change and advances, custom and practice refute that assertion. What I am tho is a person that embraces fair play.

To my mind the agenda of MS and others that develop/advance? products is a cancer. Deliberately obsoleting expensive process, and laying to waste equipment, plug-ins, and so on is, in my opinion, is doing exactly to computer use, what the cancer does to our bodies.

I have a load of good tools attached to my XP that I can't use on the Win 7 machine. I too have used Win 7 for a number of years, but it still does not fit. Like an impulse purchase of a pair of shoes that look the part but never conform to the foot.

In desperation I turned to Mac. Myth had it that it is easier and more intuitive........Well for me, the MacPro 13 is carried on trips to download my cards to each day and no more. It just will NEVER fit, and does most of the things I do rather less well than PC, remember, before you accuse me of starting a divisive debate , I chose to go Mac, and I gave it a darn good go, turning off all the other stuff for over a year. I wanted it to work for me because I wanted to be able to follow all the tutorials available without always having to translate back into PC commands.

Dunno what I'm going to do with that XP machine and tools now!!

Cheers,

Andrew

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Andrew,
But you don’t have to do without the XP machine and all its plug-in tool accessories at all.

The fact that manufactures of these same plug-ins failed to respond to MS when they gave the very clear notice of expiry of the XP O/S in 5 years, that was the big problem and MS can remain blameless for that.

Now getting back to you problem, it is simple to resolve it if you think about it for just a minute because the answer is sitting right in front of you, I.E. your trusty old XP machine.

You can go on using this perfectly good machine and all its plug-ins and be very happy and safe doing so but just don’t connect it to the internet, that’s a very small price to pay if you don’t want to upgrade all of your great equipment.

For what it’s worth I would much prefer to have a duff computer than cancer anytime, especially where upgrading is not an option. :(

Mac computers are great with just one click, once you stop trying to use them as a PC ! ;)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Hi Andrew,
But you don’t have to do without the XP machine and all its plug-in tool accessories at all.

The fact that manufactures of these same plug-ins failed to respond to MS when they gave the very clear notice of expiry of the XP O/S in 5 years, that was the big problem and MS can remain blameless for that.

Now getting back to you problem, it is simple to resolve it if you think about it for just a minute because the answer is sitting right in front of you, I.E. your trusty old XP machine.

You can go on using this perfectly good machine and all its plug-ins and be very happy and safe doing so but just don’t connect it to the internet, that’s a very small price to pay if you don’t want to upgrade all of your great equipment.

For what it’s worth I would much prefer to have a duff computer than cancer anytime, especially where upgrading is not an option. :(

Mac computers are great with just one click, once you stop trying to use them as a PC ! ;)

You are right on, its off the net now, I will only connect to update drivers if I can, and then only when there is no full moon :th
Ya canna tempt me on the Mac, not 'bitin on dis one atall atall to be shure! :celebrate

Andrew

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
.. Mine is being kept simply because there will be some old school type who rings me up in 4 years time with a WinXP problem (still get win98 occassionally!) and I'll want to see what they see.

That and my son will one day get to cut his teeth on this stuff and wonder how I ever answered his Nanna's questions ;)