ilford smooth pearl - permajet clone, anybody tried it?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I bought some TECCO SP310 Smooth Pearl this summer as a replacement, quite expensive, not bad but nothing beats the original Ilford for (lack of) gloss difference with pigment inks.

Found recently a stock of "SATIN PHOTO PAPER - Made in Switserland" - boxes of 240 sheet A3, and lo and behold, appearance, weight, profile and results were the same as the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl where a had still some sheets of (despite the low price I limited myself to 2 boxes :)).

I had the same experience with an old stock of Aldi SIHL, maybe aging helps to absorb pigment inks ?

Last edited:

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
A year or more ago I purchased at the Challenger store Singapore two pkts of A4 Ilford Super Premium Photo Pearl Paper and two pkts of A4 Ilford Super Premium Photo Satin Paper. Both were 20 sheet pkts and the paper weighed from 240 - 250 gsm. This paper was made in Switzerland by Ilford Imaging.
I printed images on both types of paper with a Canon Pro 100 dye printer after profiles were made for it by Mike at Precision Colors.
My impression was that compared with Canon papers the colours lacked vibrancy and I decided to on sell the paper and stick with the Canon paper for the time being.

emankayker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
well, I went ahead and bought a roll of ilford smooth pearl 310g left in a store in Switzerland as well...
just need a massicot now

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
We already know what the best offer is for glossy paper: Sihl paper sold by Lidl and Netbit paper at Aldi.

But what is the best offer for non glossy paper? Good Question!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I wouldn't say the Aldi/Sihl/Netbit/Lidl papers are the best glossy papers overall, they are for me the best ones in the low price range of about 10 - 15 cts per A4 sheet. There are other papers in the premium range with a more neutral white, with an even more uniform and glossier coating, there are some with a wider colour space (but not by much), and there are plenty more different surfaces available, silk, semigloss, satin, metallized, fabric etc

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Last year Aldi Germany offered both the glossy and matte versions of the Sihl paper, see this post by cls. I have also seen this offer at Aldi DK, but it is a few years ago.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
that was a semiglossy paper, not even silk as the description implies, it is the glossy paper with a
fine surface structure, it is not a smooth matt paper at all

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Most semi-glossy papers have a fine surface structure nowadays, somewhat bigger is called pearl.
I print on them with glossy settings.
I even doubt if they still contain paper, the back is plastic, you even can't write on it.

Matt is still real paper (and much cheaper for this reason I suppose).

PS: Aldi and Lidl don't sell A3 (I dropped A3+ since you can't find it often at a good price, no standard frames either).

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
pearl, silk, semiglossy whatever, there is no clear definition what it means, and companies
are quite inventive with marketing names. Matt ist as well coated, otherwise you wouldn't get a decent color space and black density. Aldi/Lidl don't sell A3, you are right, but you can get the Sihl papers at their internet shop sihl-direct.de in A3. The Sihl paper is fiber based and PE coated, on both sides, so the ink solvent cannot penetrate into the paper, and the back side does not feel like carton but like a lab copy