Ilford from Ebay - should I worry about authenticity?

rainy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm somewhat cheap and looking to stock up on photo paper, and since I don't have a Costco membership to get the popular Kirkland, I thought I'd try some Ilford from Ebay (don't know where else to get it in Canada). I was wondering if anyone thinks there's a high risk of fake paper being sold? I know how Ebay is, so obviously I'd try to be careful, but especially since I've never seen Ilford packaging in real life I have no comparison.

My alternative is just to fork out for assorted qualities of Canon paper (20% off this weekend at Best Buy, so slightly less overpriced)... but the Ilford sounds like much nicer stuff, so...

Thanks for any opinions : )

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Rainy,

First.
Be aware that Ilford has been a highly respected maker of sensitized photographic papers for a long time. They are now making inkjet paper too, and they are very good. You knew that, didn't you.

Presently on eBay, there are 82 responses to a search for "ilford paper". 4 are for other than paper, really.
64 are for sensitized photographic black and white paper. Just 14 are for various styles of Ilford inkjet paper.

Ilford inkjet paper comes in a series named Galerie. There are various finishes. Their packaging seems to be quite decorative and always has the word Galerie prominently at the top of the package cover.

Of the Ilford inkjet paper sales presently on eBay, there are prices ranging from 92 cents/sheet down to 34 cents/sheet, including shipping. I can beat 50 cents a sheet at a local photography store. Since Ilford started in photographic papers, many photography stores sell their papers, including inkjet. Check them out. Their prices vary greatly, so check several.

For glossy photo paper, you just can't beat Costco's Kirkland. Without a membership, you can still buy on-line. There is a premium for non-members, and the shipping is noticeably high priced, but you can get paper at about 26 cents/sheet even that way. FIND SOMEONE WITH A MEMBERSHIP.

Any eBay seller with a feedback of 100 or more and a score of 99% positive is a safe bet for honesty. This is not to say that lower feedback quantity is dishonest at all, just that you have less assurance. Use Paypal to pay and you get a bit of extra security. If an eBay seller insists on payment by money order only, be extra cautious.

rainy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply canonfodder. If I can find Kirkland, I'll stock up, but...

Unfortunately, Costco.ca does not stock paper of any kind. I was reading in another forum (recently posted) that Kirkland photo paper can be harder to find in Canadian stores, and people have been told it is "inactive" inventory, meaning restocking is unlikely/not happening for whatever reason. People I know with memberships either don't live in town or aren't very helpful... eg. if I tracked it down and asked them to get me some, they might remember a month later and then get me the wrong kind.

Prices are are actually slightly worse on Ebay than you calculated, because of shipping to Canada.

I'm a very stingy printer, so high volume isn't necessarily an issue (though obviously 5x the quantity for the same price is preferable). I'm trying to weigh the extra cost of buying the OEM paper vs. the amount of time and energy it's going to take me to track down Kirkland (and someone to get it for me), or Ilford paper (and the likelihood it isn't going to be pricey at a specialty store anyway), and the ebay risks (well aware of safe purchasing habits - most concerned with loss and import taxes and fees).

That said, I'll make some calls and see if anything turns up... thanks for the pricing info though, it gives me some perspective...