If you had to pick one paper!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you want the perfect B&W prints then you got the best letterpress machine for the job, it may be slow but it can’t be beaten.. :love

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score

Also, ordering sample packs over the next couple of days, will try the epson luster paper that was suggested, but noticed that they don't do 13x19 size or 5x7 which are the two sizes I'd need the most.
Do check out Red River by ordering their sample pack. They do offer their papers in a variety of cut sizes.

Adampro1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1
Thanks fotofreek I will..

THE HAT - half tone photos look interesting on the letterpress, but I doubt clients would want them :D

emankayker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
-Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta 325gsm is my favorite, by far, for photos that are going to be displayed.
And this one for everything else, from 10x15cm to posters to digital albums. Extremely cheap, lovely pearl texture (probably the best of all I have tested, even among the "fine art" papers), durable , and works well with 3rd party pigments (no gloss differential whatsoever, less bronzing):
http://www.photomart.co.uk/Catalogu...r/ImageColour-Pearl-Inkjet-Photo-Paper-260gsm

Hi
I'm about to order a couple of the rolls costadinos recommanded and was wondering the difference in quality they offer. if someone could reply by tomorrow that would help me pick the right stuff... : )
is the satin paper a mate paper or does it use the Epson photo ink?

I would think it could be classified like
glossy luster pearl and satin as a matte ink
what would you think?
cheers from Geneva

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Based on lots of observations from the wet darkroom to the present dry light room, satin has more gloss than matte. By quite a bit. In fact, Canon calls their one paper Semi-Gloss, but on the back in the multi-language descriptions it's called Satin.

Pearl, which Ilford came up with many, many years ago is essentially Luster. Perhaps with a bit more coarseness or granularity.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
You get much the same reaction today when you walk instead of driving there.. :eek:

Walk, are you crazy? God has sent us 85 cents per litre gasoline so we don't have to walk.

RS

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Photographer friends tend to sneer at my anal retentive approach to print making, but occasionally it can pay off.

Last week at one of our club competitions, one of the three judges was a locally respected print maker and he tore into the print quality issues with a vengeance. Even commenting on choice of paper surface, matte colour and general print presentation.

He had a field day, and whilst I also suffered, it was not to the extent of some of the other better entrants. I ended ended up with more than my share of awards.

Moral of the story - Print quality is still important, and some people can see the difference.

RS

emankayker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
still, congrat's Roy
So basically it falls in two categories, Gloss and the others...
been Pearl, Luster and Satin...
why would a manufacturer make those 3 products... I suppose I'd have to buy rolls to find out...