Ideas for an affordable Canon A4 printer ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Very affordable, reliable and sturdy Canon A4 inkjet printer ?.
I’m afraid there’s isn’t such thing nowadays, but I wondering if some of you folks could give me some ideas.

That printer won’t be for me (I’m contented with my Maxify MB5150 ) but for my brother, whose Canon MG5750 is dying (error B203 popping almost every day.) The machine is seven years old. He used always third party compatibles carts, but no printhead failures or huge clogs although, to be fair, I see in the grid pattern of the pigment black nozzle check, the first symptoms of warping.
One year ago I resetted the waste ink pads counter, so that gives you an idea of the number the pages printed.

Anyway, when my brother said to me that he intended to replace this dying printer with another MG5750, he was shocked to know that this model is long gone and so are all the others that used the CLI-570 series carts.
Therefore, not only he has to invest in a new printer but also to discard a bunch of unopened PGI-571/CLI-570 carts.

The new printer can’t be a Maxify because the machine will sit in a recessed shelf not tall enough to open the top lid for scanning/copy.
Monochrome lasers are discarded too because of the same reason. Besides, he wants to print in color. Of course, color lasers are way too expensive and bulky.
He paid 65 euros for his MG5750. For that price, or even double, current Canon models seem to be crappy toys. Megatanks are expensive and he doesn’t wants a printer that uses bottles instead of carts.

What’s left in ‘Canonland’ ?. Maybe they’re some reasonable options in Epson ?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The new printer can’t be a Maxify because the machine will sit in a recessed shelf not tall enough to open the top lid for scanning/copy.
If the need ever arises for a scanning/copy then fit a shelf that fold down when not needed.. Or run it from the floor..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, tell my brother that .. ;).
He has seen my MB5150 and, apart from not liking the size of the machine, he doesn't wants to change anything in the current location of the printer, much less to run the machine from the floor. No Maxify for him.

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
Doesn't the x51/x71/x81 ink share the same cartridge body? If it does he can use his 271 supplies in a x81(e.g TR8620a) printer by swapping chips. Dont know how the x81 series of printers fare to their outgoing mg5750 in terms of build, functionality, nor serviceability.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the suggestion. My brother wouldn't bother to tamper with the carts, but maybe I'd do it for him if I find a cheap source of 580 chips.