Ideal All-in-One, Network Printer/Scanner?

morari

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new printer. However, since this is the first one I've bought in a LONG time, I'm looking to make it the right one for a long time. What I want is a printer of average quality with a decent scanner built-in. On top of that, I would like it to be network enabled for both the print AND scan features, so that I don't have to mess with any print servers. I don't plan to ever use it for printing digital photos or anything, so it doesn't need to be super-high quality. I'd like to keep the price as low as possible however, as I am completely unwilling to spend $200-$300 just for a mere machine to sit in the corner of the office. :p

About the only thing I've been able to find so far is the Brother MFC-5440CN.However, almost all of the reviews I've read concerning it states that it goes through ink VERY FAST, even when not using colors or printing at all. Something to do with a self-cleaning or lubricating feature, I guess.

Any suggestions? Is the Brother model really as bad as stated? Is there any others out there that meet, or exceed, my criteria? Maybe it would be easier to just get a printer server as well as a separate printer/scanner hybrid, but would I be able to use the scanner networked as such? Print servers seem kind of expensive anyway, which would definitely cut into my funds for getting a new machine...