i9900 sudden magenta cast

Photoship

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon i9900 is suddenly printing flesh tones with a slight magenta cast.
I suspect a clogged color channel, but which one?
In other words which of the eight colors when subtracted will give a magenta cast
to flesh tones?

fred

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Photoship,

On an i9900 there is an "Extended nozzle check patterm" - see (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3196#p3196) for an example. This prints 7 of the 8 inks separately and should help you to find the problem if one of the inks is skipping. The opposite of C/M/Y are R/G/B (in that order). I suppose that a missing green ink would cause a magenta cast, but there is usually very little green used on this printer, especially in flesh tones (unless you are printing photos of Martians). What ink set are you running? Are all of the carts from the same supplier? Did anything else change just before the problem started?

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There was an excellent thread on this issue back in September/October. I had this problem so badly I was going to scrap my i9900. The magenta cast is caused by cyan starvation, which can also manifest as banding. A cyan channel could be clogged, to be sure. Some refillers have alleged that North American cyan ink is too thick, or was until lately. My solution was to follow the advice in the thread and refill only Canon cartridges, after which the cast and the banding disappeared instantly.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Is it a magenta cast or a reddish cast? When cyan is clogged you should see a reddish cast which may be mistaken as magenta. If it is truly a magenta cast you have to have cyan and yellow getting clogged at the same time.