I need some input on what printer brand/model would best fit my needs

PrinterNoob

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi. I need a bit of help. I have been looking on-line and its hard to find answers to my specific questions and often times I find answers the conflict with the ones Ii found previously. So now I bring my situation to you and ask for help.

This is what i need in a printer:
-Cheap ***
-Cartridges with strong long lasting heads
-Cartridges that can be refilled without using any kinda chip reseter ***
-Cartridges that will last through many refills

As a side note, it would be nice if it had a scanner, but its a very unimportant detail.

Printer speed is not a big concern for me. I don't need high quality photo printing capabilities, most of what I print will be full page color printing on just standard copy paper. For a long time I used a Lexmark X1270, Which worked out pretty well for awhile. But it eventually had issues with the blue ink. I tried a new cartridge but the problem persisted. I bought a new printer of the same model and after only 1 refill the same problem occurred. So I would rather avoid that model, and even the entire brand if possible.

So any help with finding a brand/model that fits the fore mentioned criteria would be greatly appreciated. Please be sure to also mention which number ink cartridges i should be using with the specific printer (assuming there will be multiple choices for each)
Thanks in advance for any help i receive.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I would recommend a Canon iP3000 which you can find used on eBay or at a garage sale or a thrift store. The print head is separate from the cartridges, which makes it easier to refill and there are separate cartridges for each color.

Keep in mind that the color inks in this printer are dye based which means that on plain paper the colors will smear if the printout gets wet. If you don't care about that, then the iP3000 is good or any other Canon printer that uses the BCI-3 and/or BCI-6 cartridges. I would not recommend getting one that uses more than 5 cartridges since you'll be doing a lot more refilling.

If your printouts need to be more color fast on plain paper, you should get an Epson printer that uses Durabrite ink but you won't find one that doesn't require a chip resetter (or any other new printer for that matter).