I Need Help / I Need To Buy A Printer

Arrielle

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello,
I am writing to you as I BADLY need help.

I need to buy a printer with cartridges that can be refilled (inkjet) and also that last for a long time. I am a foreign student and I have to print at least 50 pages each day and I cannot afford to buy original cartridges.

I bought a HP Deskjet 1000 hoping that I will be able to refill the cartridge. I bought the appropriate ink from e-bay (from Nano Digital) but the cartridge itself broke after 70 pages printed.

You would help me a lot if you could tell me:

1. which printer should I buy ( as I plan to take this back to Walmart)
2 which cartridge last the longest - after being refilled
3. Which type of ink / from what website - should I buy.

I know that Canon uses some cartridges that can be refilled many time. A friend of mine had it and used it for thousands of pages but I don't remember the precise type of printer.

I would much appreciate your help.
Thank you.
Ariel

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
If this printer is going to be used for only text pages and not photo printing I'd suggest you buy one of the low price laser printers offered by
Brother or Samsung. They can often be found for only $59 on sale at Office Depot or Staples. Compatible toner cartridges can be bought on the
web for as low as $23 offering up to 3000 pages, or, you can get kits to refill your own empty cartridge. I have several printers but use a Brother
HL2140 laser to print invoices for my business every month. It's very reliable and I only have to change toner carts maybe once or twice per year.
Very thrifty!

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you need to print in color then search for a Canon Pixma IP3600. This model is still available in some places and is easy to refill. However, is not as cheap as HP Deskjet 1000.
You will need also quality ink and a resetter. Let us know your location to point you toward forum members that sell ink and resetters.

Arrielle

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gigigou , thank you very much for your help. (BTW, are you from Romania ?)

I thought at Canon Pixma IP3600 too, after I did some research.
Does this printer has the printing-head in it, or the printing-head is on the cartridge?
I live in Kennesaw- close to Atlanta GA.

Doing some research I saw that the cartridges that remind me of my fired's cartridge are CLI 221 and CLI 8bk. Are there differences between the two?

What I am looking for, is a printer ( at this point I am not even concerned about the price if it does not go over 150-200 USD)
-that uses cartridges that can be refilled (at home with ink) many times.

I use it ONLY for text .
I am a PhD student and I need to print tens of papers every day. I cannot afford to go by the rule and buy cartridges every time they go empty.

THANK YOU a lot for your help.

Arrielle

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
gigigogu- what is a resetter? I bought ink from ebay and the name of the company is NANO DIGITAL.Is the ink OK?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Arrielle
If you need to print in color then search for a Canon Pixma IP3600. This model is still available in some places and is easy to refill.
However, is not as cheap as HP Deskjet 1000.
You will need also quality ink and a resetter. Let us know your location to point you toward forum members that sell ink and resetters.
If you follow gigigogu advice above and get yourself the iP3600 then youll be able to print and refill as many times as you like at very low cost.
I bought ink from eBay and the name of the company is NANO DIGITAL.Is the ink OK?
I am not sure about your choice of inks from Nano Digital or how well they will work for you.
So here are two sites for you to get good quality inks and supplies from
if you need them inkjetcarts.us or Precisioncolor.com
I cannot afford to go by the rule and buy cartridges every time they go empty.
Refilling your cartridges is a very cost effect way of keeping your printing costs down
but to refill properly you will need to learn the skill and technique to do this correctly.

So read up on refilling and be sure that you have a good working knowledge of it
before you start, it is easy to do once you get into it..:)

Arrielle

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello The Hat,

1. Does Caonon IP 3600 come with cartridges?

2.Is the printing had attached to the printer or is attached to the cartridge? (I am not even sure if this is the right question). What I've seen is that the HP 61 has some printing head on the cartridge and after 70 pages it was not good- even refilled properly ( I did not touch the head)

3. Is there a proper way of refilling the cartridge, that you could explain me here or even on skype ?

Thank you very much.
Ariel

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Since you are only printing text, I agree with Mowerman90: get a laser printer.

Make sure it can do Duplex Printing - print on both sides of the page automatically - if that is of interest to you. Also, decide if you are OK with using less expensive aftermarket replacement toner cartridges or want to refill the toner yourself. Either of those is less expensive than buying OEM replacement toner cartridges. One other thing to keep in mind, if the laser printer you buy is somewhat exotic, ie not sold in your area, then the consumables (toner and drum) may not be sold at stores locally. The importance of this is you will need to re-order supplies over the internet instead of walking into a store locally. Just something to consider.

Samsung and Brother sell inexpensive laser printers, especially when you find them on sale for well under $75! Make sure the consummables can be found in your price range as well. An inexpensive printer with expensive consumables isn't good on your bank account.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Arielle

Yes I am. If you wish to talk in Romanian just send me a PM.

Regarding your problem, if you are going to print only in black I strongly recommend to follow Mowerman90 and stratman advice.

Only if you need to print with colors go for IP3600.
In this case, this printer has separate printhead and ink tanks that can be individually replaced or refilled.
A resetter is a device that modifies the information stored in the chip attached to cartridge in such way that after refill the printer will see the cartridge as new.
For refill see this http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4315 or search about top filling.

Arrielle

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Gigigogu,
I am from Romania too. If you don't mind I would like to talk to you, maybe on Yahoo Messenger, any email or skype, to be able to be more specific in what I need. Please let me know if you have some 20 minutes free, and if you want to talk somewhere else as I don't want to ask here, maybe, unnecessary questions..
Thank you