I Need An Advice-which Cartridge / Printer???

Arrielle

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello,
I am writing to you as I BADLY need help.

I need to buy a printer with cartridges that can be refilled and also that last for a long time. I am a foreign student and I have to print at least 30 pages each day and I cannot afford to buy original cartridges.

I bought a HP Deskjet 1000 hoping that I will be able to refill the cartridge. I bought the appropriate ink from e-bay (from Nano Digital) but the cartridge itself got broken after 70 pages printed.

You would help me a lot if you could tell me:

1. which printer should I buy ( as I plan to take this back to Walmart)
2 which cartridge last the longest - after being refilled
3. Which type of ink / from what website - should I buy.

I know that Canon uses some cartridges that can be refilled many time. A friend of mine had it and used it for thousands of pages. Unfortunately I can't find him since I left Romania to tell me precisely what type he used. I googled and the one he had, it was looking like these BCI 6BK, or CLI 221..... This is the only thing I remember.

I would much appreciate your help.
Thank you.
Ariel

M

macbroom

I would guess that you are in the US if you are shopping at Walmart? The old Canon printers with the higher capacity carts ....6, 8, are discontinued. If you want to buy new then the more recent Canon printers use the new 225/226 carts, you will have to deal with the new black plastic carts that don't allow you to see the ink level.

You can refill these with various methods outlined on Niffty if you do some reading/searching.

RWP

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Arrielle said:
Hello,
I am writing to you as I BADLY need help.

I need to buy a printer with cartridges that can be refilled and also that last for a long time. I am a foreign student and I have to print at least 30 pages each day and I cannot afford to buy original cartridges.

I bought a HP Deskjet 1000 hoping that I will be able to refill the cartridge. I bought the appropriate ink from e-bay (from Nano Digital) but the cartridge itself got broken after 70 pages printed.

You would help me a lot if you could tell me:

1. which printer should I buy ( as I plan to take this back to Walmart)
2 which cartridge last the longest - after being refilled
3. Which type of ink / from what website - should I buy.

I know that Canon uses some cartridges that can be refilled many time. A friend of mine had it and used it for thousands of pages. Unfortunately I can't find him since I left Romania to tell me precisely what type he used. I googled and the one he had, it was looking like these BCI 6BK, or CLI 221..... This is the only thing I remember.

I would much appreciate your help.
Thank you.
Ariel
Some current or recent Epson printers like the just discontinued Artisan series have a decent supply of CISS and refillible carts, although they use dye ink that is somewhat better for photo printing than text documents. If you do a careful job of searching thrift stores and ebay you might find an older Canon or Epson printer that uses larger and easier to refill carts. But you need to invest some time to learn how to inspect a printer before taking this route because there are plenty of damaged or worn out printers being offered for sale.