I finally caught my Canon trying to blacklist a cartridge

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Long story short, I have Ip4300.Ip 4500 series printers. I just recently got a working resetter (redsetter).

Before I had this re setter I would occasionally get unrecognized ink tank messages directly after refilling.
When I bought the resetter I started resetting the carts just before I refilled them.

Seems tonight one of the resets didn't take ( or I missed resetting this one) and I got the dreaded Unrecognized ink tank message.

This message used to fill me with dread, because the only remedy before the resetter hit the market was a new chip/cartridge

So I reset the cartridge again, and it slides home and is recognized fine. It's a little vindicating knowing that my theories were right and it was using the prism to monitor true ink levels and then trying to blacklist when the cartridge came back into the system full.

Just another reason to have a resetter for refilling, it not only stops this message, it gives you ink levels. :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
In fairness the same problem hits OEM cartridges almost as much as the 3rd party ones... Canon did do a foot shooting routine with it all though.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Maybe they did, but they are laughing all the way to the bank. I'm sure they made a small fortune during the 2 yrs that it took for someone to develop a resetter. And what was Canon's reaction when the resetter came out? They stopped all production of the pgi-5 and cli-8 series, and introduced the newer, smaller cartridges, with noisier printers to boot. I'm sure this is a part of a long-term strategy, but the only thing it will do is eventually piss off consumers, at least the knowledgeable ones.

The sad part is that most consumers are not that knowledgeable...and don't do their homework.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Haha,

More than two thousand years ago the famous chinese military strategist Sun Tzu once said: "Every war is based on deception...."
And one must know: "Trade is war..."