I am looking for a new all-in-one printer--any suggestions.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am looking for a new all-in-one inkjet printer. The printer should print, copy, and scan. If it has a fax that is O.K. I really do not need it. The carts for the printer should be refillable and you can reset the chip. I would like to keep the price under $200 US.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Does it have to be new? Would you consider a used printer like an MP750 or MP780 that uses the easiest to refill unchipped BCI-6 cartridges? Where in the US are you located?

mharris127

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Brother has some nice all-in-one printers for less than $200. If you don't mind last year's model, a refurb MFC-5490 is available for about $105 shipped ($89.99 plus shipping) from www.circuitcity.com and has every feature you could want. Staples had some at $89.99 plus shipping as well. I have a 5490 and a 295 (a smaller AIO printer) and both are nice printers. CISS is available from eBay (if that is your thing) or aftermarket ink carts from eForCity (www.eforcity.com) at $3.99 each or 8 for $19.99. Current model Brother printers start at $79.99 (the cheapest one does not have a document feeder) and most take the same ink carts. Whatever you do, don't use the fastest print speed with a Brother printer as the print heads clog up every 40 pages or so. Any other print speed will work fine.

Tarmin7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in here but it seemed sensible rather than starting another similar thread ?

Newbie - just joined today, but have the same question as in the heading. I guess you regulars get fed up with these similar questions but truth is there are quite a few of us out here who really don't know that much about printers, and the whole subject seems to get more complicated the more you look into it !

We have had an all-in-one Lexmark for 4 years and surprisingly (considering it was a 26 /$40 bargain) it has been very good. Using non-OEM cartridges seemed to eventually stop it printing in colour, and then this week the printer has definitely gone haywire so enough is enough - time for a new one.

For me the biggest issue is cost of cartridges - OEMs are crazy in price and I don't care how slow the printer is - as long as it works, and gives reasonable images. I read through this forum and tried other review sites and whilst there is some good feedback, I found myself thinking - "ok so it's got to be Epson or Canon - but how can I find out which models use which cartridges and which of those cartridges are absolute no-nos due to the chipping issue on later models .. etc ?"

For me looking at the options today I have no idea where to start. I found myself veering towards an Epson SX425W or Canon Pixma MP272 - but then lookd on ebay and found that all the cheap non-oem cartridges do not list these 2 models as compatible.

My assumption is that these are 2 of the later models which the manufacturers have now made to block non-oems ??

Then I looked for "older" models as some people on here suggest - but there are so many different models I got lost trying to list them all for further review ! I ended up with a headache !

So in basic terms - can anyone suggest a small selection of "last year's" Epson / Canon models which cost under 100 and for which I can definitely source decent, cheap non-oem cartridges ????

I basically want an all-in-one, which we can use for low usage printing, maybe some photos ... and cheap ink costs ...

Many thanks.....

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: ghwellsjr

I would like to purchase a new all-in-one printer. My current MX870 with all its problems is a refurbished unit. So I am gun shy when it comes to used/refurbished printers.

Thank you for your reply.

To: mharris127

Brother makes decent printers. I do not know about refillable/resettable carts for Brother printers. I have a Staples store in my town so I will check out the stores Brother printers and other printers. Costco also sales Brother printers in my town.

To: Tarmin7

If you want information on printers www.consumerreports.com is a good site. You will have to subscribe and you will have to pay for it. If you want information on older printers you may be able find the information in the Consumer Reports (CS) site, but you have to dig for the information. I suggest you do a search on the site and enter the name and model number of the printer and see what happens. The CS site will not tell you if the printer uses refillable/resettable carts. I suggest you ask people on the inkjet Printer Forum site for good older printers that use refillable/resettable carts. You can also do a google search and enter the name of an older printer. www.pcmag.com and www.pcworld.com is a pair of good sites to go to find information on older printers.