HP SUCKS - need new TEXT printing ink jet w. scanner & ADF

Christine

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Well, I hadn't planned on deciding so soon, but after I posted here last night I checked out an (affiliate?) link someone had sent me to Staples for the MP780 and not only was it on sale for $250, but they also offered a $50 rebate and free shipping. I'm not big on rebates - hope that works.

I figured for $200 I can't go to wrong and did something I usually don't do, I bought the $40 2-yr technical support/warranty. I'm still traumatized by my HP experience and since I hope to get to Nicaragua later this year and may just take it with me, this may come in handy, I read something about international support. Not only do I not have much space here, but it's even worse in the camper.

Personally, I'm way too impatient to hook up various components whenever I need them and I do value my time, spend 100 hours/week at the computer and am still way behind schedule. So I want to spend as little time as possible on administrative stuff and nonproductive things like spending 10 minutes to hook up the scanner and then putting it away several times a week.

And when I say "printer" I actually mean "printer/copier" -- it just occurred to me that I didn't attribute the copying feature to the scanner. I do a lot more copying than scanning.

It does suck when one component fails, but that's why I have TWO machines. The ADF on the R60 failed after a few months, I think too many bugs fell into it. So I just used it as a printer. Around here repairs aren't much of a choice and I think that generally you can't get anyone to do anything for less than $50 just to check out what's wrong, is it worth it?

I'm going to ask around if anyone in my neighborhood wants the R60 as a scanner, some people have a lot more space than cash.

And I know that the laser printers have their place, especially for business card and check printing - but I don't do that and nobody is going to admire my court filings for the print quality.

As far as the cost of ink goes, I've been refilling the HPs from a 1 liter bottle of black ink for about $45 and it lasted about 1.5 years. I did have to buy a few new cartridges too, but it still was very economical.

This is my first order at Staples, hope it goes well. Thanks all for your input!

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
$200 is a STEAL. I bought mine for 350 euros. Hey!!!!!!! THATS $441.039 !!!! HEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I thought I was getting a good deal. The printer was delivered on time and it works great. Haven't had much time to figure out batch scanning and some of those details yet, but it prints and copies and scans.

Still have a problem printing postage, for some reason using Endicia I get a blank page instead of postage and then I have to "reprint" from the postage log and it works. Haven't had time yet to contact Endicia support about that, it's not that important as long as I get my work done.

I'm starting to run low on black ink and was reading up on refilling here. Finally decided to just order a bunch of cartridges at inkgrabber - at $2.95 it's just not worth the hassle to refill. What a deal!