HP SUCKS - need new TEXT printing ink jet w. scanner & ADF

Christine

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Unlike most people, I don't print photos and basically just need a printer/scanner (fax would be nice, but isn't necessary)

I need "court" quality, meaning that I hope the judge can read it. I use the cheapest paper and it looks awful compared to my defendants' lawyers filings, but I don't really care.

I have deadlines and need to be able to get the printing done. I usually submit the DRAFT prints.

For several years my HP Officejet R60 was just about perfect, but now I have to handfeed each piece of paper because it just won't take it most of the times. Made a lame attempt at "repair" but can't even figure out how to take the thing apart and get to the rollers, nor do I have parts, so it's rather pointless.

I also have TWO HP Officejet 135. They're now both out of warranty, but it doesn't matter one way or another - HP was not honoring the warranty because I bought them as refurbs, advertised with a 1 year HP warranty. At first they honored the warranty for the first printer when the printhead was DOA. Then I had some problem that required sending it back, I quickly ordered another D135 (so I could use the same ink and refill kit) and when I called to have HP pick up the first defective printer, they advised that I needed to scan and submit my invoice. I did that, for both printers. Yet, they refused to pick it up and I HATE that Indian call center and the totally inept people. Every time I called it took about 1/2 hour and they finally promised a supervisor's call back, it never happened. I gave up - the only lawsuits I regret are the ones I didn't file - yet.

Sorry for the rant. My HP 3 laser printer in the early 90s was great, but now I don't want another HP if it's the last printer on the planet. I also looked at laser printers a bit, but they just cost more and while I don't print photos, I do have occasionally color copies and prints from websites for exhibits.

I looked around the web last night, the Canon Pixma MP780 looked appealing, read the review at http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120685,00.asp

I know I'm paying for a lot I don't need and they're not impressed with the scanning. Most of my scans are just court filings and I'm looking for a more functional scanning software than the D135. It defaulted to LEGAL size paper and there was no way to change that in the setup, extremely annoying.

Any recommendations?

I like that the MP780 has separate cartridges for each color, that's definitely a plus.

And thanks for this forum, found the link at Neil's printer page.

bobglen97

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
What about laser printer / scanner alternatives?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hey Christine!

I have the MP750 which is the same with MP780 without the fax. It's an AMAZING printer! I also had bad experiences with previous HP models, so I know exactly what you are writing about.

The most important advantages of the MP750/780 compared to HP multifunctionals is:

1) Better photocopies. (Canon has a much more experience in scanner technology)
2) Faster printing. (Normal printing is faster than HP's draft printing and quality is 4 times better)
3) Lower ink cost. (You pay only for the colors you use)
4) Non Canon supplies are even cheaper and very reliable (non HP supplies are not reliable).
5) Excellent paper handling. I've yet to see my MP750 make ONE feeding error so far!!! I was plagued by HP's paper feeding errors.
6) Combines cassete paper feed with a classic sheet feeder (and therefore is easier to feed than HPs).
7) Comes with an internal paper duplexer so you can print out booklets and books without hassles.
8) The scanner has a paper feeder so you can print/scan many sheets easily.

A co-worker has compared my MP750 to his HP multifunctional with this quote:

"Your machine is different class"

And that describes it in the best way.

Christine

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, Panos' review for the MP750 sure sounds great.

I don't want a separate scanner because I'm extremely short on space. It's also a matter of having to ship twice, two files, etc. And it's a 2 hour trip to Vegas to the nearest stores where I can pick up or take it in for repairs. I rather spend a little more and have something that lasts longer - if that's still possible.

I have to say those cheapo printers look tempting too, but my own experiences in the 90s just were not very positive. In recent years, my neighbors had trouble too, mostly with the paper feeding. And a new scanner would really be a *nice* to have since the HP scanning software sucks.

Looking at laser printers, they just cost more, and while I don't print much color, it still is a "must have."

I'm glad I didn't have to make a decision within a few minutes.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Christine, I know you have limited space, but based on my experience, I would rather get a separate scanner and printer.
Why? Repairs. Office equipments will fail in time. If you have a combo unit, it would mean that if your scanner fails and you have to have it serviced for repairs, you will have to bring the whole unit, leaving you with nothing to use if you need to print something, and vice versa.
Laser printers, sure, they cost more, but if you really think about it, they are actually cheaper in the long run. Laser toners last longer than inks. If you print documents often, the cost you will incurr in 2 to 3 months using an inkjet printer is already the cost of two brand new inkjet printers.
If printing loads of documents, the cost of printing, including the cost of the laser printer, in total, is actually less than the cost of inkjet printer and consumables in 3 to 4 months.
So think about it.
Not only will your documents look sharper in black and white, it will last longer, if you use laser.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Regarding the advantages and disadvantages of multifunctionals, one may take a look at a relevant discussion about the MP130 multifunctional.

Considering that with a 6 pack at $15 one can print about 4000 pages in black, that paper has a cost in both cases, that many laser printers (especially those in the lower price range which Christine is looking for) combine their drums and their toners which results in higher prices...

... I could say Canon printers may in fact be cheaper operate than some laser printers. Especially if one prints in draft...

bobglen97

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Christine said:
Thanks for the replies, Panos' review for the MP750 sure sounds great.

I don't want a separate scanner because I'm extremely short on space. It's also a matter of having to ship twice, two files, etc. And it's a 2 hour trip to Vegas to the nearest stores where I can pick up or take it in for repairs. I rather spend a little more and have something that lasts longer - if that's still possible.

I have to say those cheapo printers look tempting too, but my own experiences in the 90s just were not very positive. In recent years, my neighbors had trouble too, mostly with the paper feeding. And a new scanner would really be a *nice* to have since the HP scanning software sucks.

Looking at laser printers, they just cost more, and while I don't print much color, it still is a "must have."

I'm glad I didn't have to make a decision within a few minutes.
Space can be an issue, but the scanner is so light (6lbs) and small it can be "stored" anywhere until needed. The printer wieghs about 11 lbs, vs the MP750/780 which weighs about 30lbs.....so shipping will be cheaper for the two separate items.

The main differences between the Pixma 4, 5, and 6 color printers is the printhead, and eprom (machine control software). The "mechanicals" (motors, gears, feed rollers) are all the same, which reduces manufacturing costs dramatically. I spent some time working in the office equipment industry, and know very well that when you do not have a straight paper path, you introduce a failure prone feed mechanism. The MPseries uses the same printhead as the IP4000, so that part is no more or less reliable than the stand alone printers.

The fact is, a stand alone printer and scanner will cost less than 1/2 of the multifunction machine and statistacly will have a higher Mean Time Between Failure.

As the (major) mechanicals in the Pixma series are the same, you should experience the same reliabilty from the IP3000 as the IP5000, which Retails for 40% of the cost of the IP5000.

Hope this info clarifies things, rather than confuses things.

Bob

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
"The fact is, a stand alone printer and scanner will cost less than 1/2 of the multifunction machine"

I don't think I agree with bobglen. A scanner with an auto sheet feeder + a pixma 4000 costs much more than the MP750. Add a standalone fax to this, the costs are quite as much higher than an MP780.

"but the scanner is so light (6lbs)"

With or without an ADF ?

"The printer wieghs about 11 lbs"

The pixma 4000 weighs 14.9 lbs to be precise. Add to this an ADF scanner and I doubt that you won't exceed MP750's 29.8 lbs.

"so shipping will be cheaper for the two separate items"

Since the two separates (PIXMA 4000 & ADF scanner) will weight more (as they both will have power supplies) and their own packaging, shipping will be higher for the separates.

Multifunctionals are not only meant to save space (which they do) but they are also meant as low volume color/bw photocopiers. They don't need to be connected to a computer for the photocopy function. Their level of integration surpasses the printer/scanner combination in every respect.

bobglen97

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
panos said:
"The fact is, a stand alone printer and scanner will cost less than 1/2 of the multifunction machine"

I don't think I agree with bobglen. A scanner with an auto sheet feeder + a pixma 4000 costs much more than the MP750. Add a standalone fax to this, the costs are quite as much higher than an MP780.

"but the scanner is so light (6lbs)"

With or without an ADF ?

"The printer wieghs about 11 lbs"

The pixma 4000 weighs 14.9 lbs to be precise. Add to this an ADF scanner and I doubt that you won't exceed MP750's 29.8 lbs.

"so shipping will be cheaper for the two separate items"

Since the two separates (PIXMA 4000 & ADF scanner) will weight more (as they both will have power supplies) and their own packaging, shipping will be higher for the separates.

Multifunctionals are not only meant to save space (which they do) but they are also meant as low volume color/bw photocopiers. They don't need to be connected to a computer for the photocopy function. Their level of integration surpasses the printer/scanner combination in every respect.
Based upon the limited info given for Christine's current use, ie, color is only needed for occaisional use, no mention of volume, one questions the need for anything but an ip 3000 (weighing 11 lbs). As far as an adf for the scanner, volume becomes the only factor in the decision making process and why pay for it if you do not need it???? I have not seen a modem card made in years without a built in fax.

If you click on the links in my original reply to her, you will see the price, weights and specs.

My last post mainly centered aroud build quality vs price and how paper path can affect reliability. If there is one thing I have learned in my 33 years in the engineering/commercial/computing graphics/graphics arts industry, it is that you recommend/purchase what fits the application.

So, if she percieves that her application requires an multifunction machine, she should buy one. Otherwise, she can pocket the savings.