hp printers

oldman1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
1st thank you far the help......... i print lables for dvd.. and cover sheets for dvd iam not concernd as much in qauilty but in reuse or relled cart. it seems that the last several cart. or doing this. i can put in a new cat. and they work fine untill i refill them. the hp 7350 (#57) i was refilling them for a long time with no problem and suddenly it started and the new printer hp 5610 all in one (#22) would never take a refill. it is the yellow that is not printing. the print station states they never had this problem before.

now that is said is it possiable that hp started to program there cart. to do this

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Being the somewhat guity party in directing oldman1 to these forums, he really needs an understanding about how the new HP chips make refilling difficult--and how to defeat the chips. Simply things I am not expert at.

But meanwhile oldman1 can read the back posts on the refilling sub-section--page 2 and even earlier for posts on how to defeat the chips.

But a real HP expert knowlegable on the printers models he has would also really help.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In thee first place, you can't refill the # 57 ad nauseum. After a few refills, it's time for a new cartridge

Secondly, because of that chip, the printer remembers the last 2 cartridges used. To reset the levels back to "full", you will need 2 old empties. Put in one of the empties, wait a minute, then put in the 2nd empty one for a minute. Now take it out and put in the refilled one.

Your ink level indicator will be "full"

Good luck!

speedmonk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This is somewhat disturbing news.

I was about to buy a HP 2800DN for high volume printing. I don't need to do photos, just technical documents so it looked pretty good for me.

I had not heard of some protection system against refilling. I will search the back posts as suggested.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!!!

:)

oldman1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ok i tryed the 3ml of ink and made sure was no air still did not work. i might buy a cannon printer if i can if i can find one that is eazy to refill.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Oldman1,

If you are really ready to give up on HP, which I did when I became a serious student of inkjet printers, the answer for you is fairly simple--just get a non-chipped Canon using the BCI-3&6 cartridge line. You will probaly do best with a canon ip4000 or ip5000. If you get refill ink from MIS, formulalabs, or hobbicolors, I can almost certainly say you will have no future problems.

And at the end of the day, that is what makes life and learning a pleaure--solving big time consuming problems and making these problems almost disappear. Yes you may have to invest some money, but there is no replacing that feeling you get when you press that print button and know two things. (1) Its a gonna work properly. (2) You will not feel that horrible pain in the wallet. And add those two feelings and its priceless. Contrast that with the frustration you now feel.

Right now the biggest non-chipped Canon bargain is the MP780--heck your local frys electronics to see if they have a few left.

oldman1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks counld not find mp780. but what is the differants in ip 6000 and ip6000d.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Oldman1,

I may be wrong here but I don't believe there is even a plain ip6000 to compare to the ip6000d----but speculating here--the d may stand for digital as this models has a digital LCD screen and lots of Camera connection bells and whistles.

But one thing for you to realise---the ip6000d is a six color somewhat speciality printer---made to be a photoprinter and hence is less good as a general purpose printer for printing text also---ink consumtion--especially in the photocyan and photo magenta cartridges will also be higher. But even then, because its a readily available non chipped Canon using BCI-6 cartridges, it deserves a place on your short list.--and at $100 at outpost.com, its real cheap--and used to carry a much higher list price.

About the only place left to get non chipped Canons is on ebay--just type various Canon printer models numbers on the ebay search bar--example "Canon ip4000 printer" without the quotes---then select the bottom option which will get you a list of printer only auctions--the other choices get you a longer list consisting of printer only auctions plus a list of cartridge vendors for that model.

Another place to look for non-chipped canons are in local office supply stores---who may have a few tucked under store shelves--let your fingers do the walking there.---but beware of demo units---unless the printhead tests good.

But general purpose models might consist of---the pixma ip3000, 4000 or 5000.
The MP750, 760, or 780---the i560, i850, i860, and the i865.---all these are unchipped and use the BCI-3&6 cartridge line. There are also some excellent S models also------but other may want to add to this list and I also note I am not listing some really excellent high end Canon printers--but many of these are also speciality photoprinters. Consider any of these even if refurbished--but you are still better off with new and that one year guarantee.

But at the end of the day, the refiller can still get equal economy fom a chipped canon like the ip4200 or ip5200---which are readily available--its just some extra hassle and you have to do your own ink monitoring.--and can't use third party prefilled cartridges.