HP printers :: any recommendations

Inkaholic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Where can I get the larger 500 ml black tank? I think the default 110ml size of the black on this model is the only downside for large commercial customers in replacement of laser printers.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Inkaholic said:
Where can I get the larger 500 ml black tank? I think the default 110ml size of the black on this model is the only downside for large commercial customers in replacement of laser printers.
I just got hold of a HDPV 500ml bottle and converted it to a dip tank (ie: it's fitted with a tube that reaches close to the bottom)..

Nothing special really, just find a suitable container that's clean and go to it..

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an HP business inkjet 1200d that has stopped printing one color (yellow). The HP toolbox reports everything is okay and I have tried the fixes from the toolbox. I have removed the print head and cleaned it and have removed the cartridge a number of times. I have tried three different cartridges including one non-HP to no avail.

I called HP and they decided that either the delivery system is not working or the printhead is bad (even though the toolbox reports that the printheads and cartridges are okay). They had me take out the printhead and clean it. This did not help so next they told me to install a new printhead but never told me how to correct the delivery problem. Buying a new printhead is probably pouring money into a lost cause. I did find out (according to HP) that the printheads have an expiration date just like the cartridges!

Does anyone have any ideas about what to try next? I dont to put more money into what will probably soon be a boat anchor. Over the past 12 years or so I had a 500 series, 600 series, 700 series, 900 series and now this 1200. They kept getting better up to the 710 (best printer I have ever had!) then have been getting worse with each successive printer.

Thanks.

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I agree that it is probably best to get something else. I have some questions:

1. Do you think this printer is better than say a Canon ip4300? A lot of people in this forum seem to really like the Canons. I have read a number of reviews on the K550dtn and some are terrible including a number that were DOA.

2. Do you know if the cartridges are easily refillable?

3. Does the network capability actually work? I have read about some printers that have this capability but are very hard to get to work.

Thanks again!

Inkaholic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This whole thread is on the CIS capability of this machine. But if you do not like the K550 and want a really expensive printer, get the L7680 or the L7780. They use the same HP 88 cart model and have more functionality with the all-in-one.

Even if you do not CIS the machine, this model of tank style you should not refill the OEMs. However, you can buy aftermarket refillable tanks that are fine with resettable chips.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I am considering a 7580 which uses the 88 tanks. I have seen the refillable tanks, but is there a reliable source of ink for this cartridge?

Inkaholic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
All of the new HP printers are using the "Vivera" ink sets. Every ink manufacturer makes a compatible ink set for these. It is the #1 ink sold, considering HP is the most popular printer manufacturer.

Anyway, you can get them on eBay, from American Inkjet, Sensient, OCP, anywhere. If you want a direct contact for jugs of ink call Future Graphics. www.futuregraphicsllc.com They have everything.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info - are all Vivera inks the same (for different cartridges) or are they formulated differently?

Inkaholic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
On the HP 02 model set of Vivera they have some printers that have LC (light cyan) and regular cyan. Of course these are different inks. However, I am pretty sure that the cyan in HP 02 is the same as every other Vivera cartridge like the 88 cyan. If they are not exactly the same, they are close enough that you would never notice a difference in coloring.

Refillers/remanufacturers use the same inks for refills on all Vivera carts. I have never heard of one that has different Vivera equivalent bottles, and I am in the refilling business.

By the way, if you do CIS this machine, buy the one from Ink2000 only. It cost more than others, but after a lot of testing, this is by far the best CIS system for the HP 88 models. It comes pre-filled with ink and has no problems at all. If you do not print enough to bother with a CIS for K550, 5400, L7580, L7680 or L7780 then get the refillable 88s with resettable chips (not auto reset chips or ARCs). If the chip auto resets and you run out of ink, it can ruin your printhead and that will cost you $60 each time to fix.