HP L7580 icon is grayed out but can ping printer

zillah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Experts

I have a network (static ip address 192.168.10.24) HP OfficeJet Pro L7580 printer and and using Windows 7 64 bit

In the control panel the printer icon is grayed out but I can ping the printer, and I can access webpage (192.168.10.24) of the printer

This is problem happens intermittently.

What I used to do , reinstalled the driver and installed it again and that was fixing the issue but it is annoying to do that every time

Any suggestion what could cause the problem ?

Thanks

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
HP Officejet printers have two problems..

1. The static IP address you assign to the printer occasionally gets forgotten by the printer and it will revert to using DHCP so the solution is to get the MAC address for the printer and then set a DHCP reservation on your network/router/etc...

However your issue sounds like your operating system has somehow lost its port setting for the printer.

You need to go:
- START
- Devices and Printers
- Locate and right click on your L7580 printer
- Printer Properties
- Ports (tab)
- Check for a port that has the correct IP address and select it if it isn't already
- If the port does not exist, use the Add Port button to add the IP address (Should be port number 9100, RAW protocol)

Another possible solution is to try turning off bidirectional support (found via printer properties > Ports (tab).

With a little luck that will help get your printer back online...