Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
narmenia said:
anyone here using HP K5300 and K5400?

i need feedback on:
1. printhead reliability
2. occurrence of paperjams
3. performance with CIS (optional)

thanks
The K5400 uses the exact same printhead as the K550, L7X80 series so they are exactly the same. I've not had a chance to see how the K5400 differs from the K550 but from what I gather the key change was to include a counter weight that helps balance the rapid printhead movement. I doubt very much that they've done anything beyond that.

narmenia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@websnail

do you have a HP K550?

i need feedback
1. printhead reliability

also
1. how many printhead do the k550 printer has?
2. are the printheads cheap?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
narmenia said:
@websnail

do you have a HP K550?
I have:
- K550
- L7680
- L7780 (maintained for client)
- K5400 (as above)

1. printhead reliability
There are a few things to note with these printheads
a) the OEM black and yellow printhead with the K550 was known to have a fault (solved with retail packs)
b) if you get air into the printhead (poor CIS pressure, CIS runs out or non-oem refilled cartridge runs out**) you get banding you cannot resolve without buying a new printhead.

Paper feed issues on HP printers are a known problem and the web is replete with stories about problems. For these printers though a few notes.
a) The K550dtn has an extra paper tray and I've had two printers (of 4 total) that wouldn't feed properly from the bottom tray.
b) coating/residue on the paper often causes pick-up problems so one way to resolve this is to find a different paper manufacturer (testing is the best approach)
c) There are kits available to restore the rollers or replace them so it's worth having these long term.

3 weeks ago and I would have told you to avoid these printer like the plague but recently I've discovered a lot of new stuff about these printers and how they work. More importantly what's important for a CIS to work with them.
I'd seriously recommend giving http://www.inkpouch.com/ a look (the site is in beta - www.inkbags.com is old site). Their system uses OEM cartridges and bags (instead of bottles) as reservoirs.

I also wrote an ebay guide on how HP cartridges work in relation to CIS's or some of the refillable cartridges out there.
http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/HP-Officejet-inkjet-cartridges-CIS-apos-s_W0QQugidZ10000000005564255

1. how many printhead do the k550 printer has?
Two physical units:
- Yellow and black
- Cyan and Magenta

are the printheads cheap?
I've managed to source individual printheads for 30 (GBP) + P&P in the UK but you will probably find them for around 35 as a more standard retail price. That price is EACH so you're looking at 60+ for replacing both (if you ever need to).

Final Note:
I've had no end of problems using non-oem refillable cartridges that lack the OEM rubber bulb and pumping system which is vital for proper operation of the printer (see ebay guide!). The key thing with printhead reliability is that this printer requires positive ink pressure and throws out the rule book when it comes to CIS kits. I'm in the process of testing the inkpouch system and based on my own testing with OEM cartridges and bottles it's a very neat solution to a annoying problem so I'd seriously consider it over the constant pressure systems and non-oem cartridges.

Hope that helps.