HP G55 ink-all-over

bobnorth

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
A week ago my HP G55 All-in-one printer-scanner-copier started giving false (pretty new cartridge) "black cartridge low" messages, then went away. Today, I sent a print job to the G55, turned around, and there was a pool of black ink coming out the bottom of the printer. Panic! I got a bunch of towels, unplugged the printer, and managed to save the carpet. So what the heck happened? I pulled out the black cartridge later and didn't notice anything unusual, but the bottom is covered with ink, and when I tip it sideways, more ink comes out the bottom. Any ideas on this one? Thanks.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
bobnorth, welcome to the forum and sorry for your problems.

Boy, that's a scary thought... a bunch of black ink leaking from your printer. Have you dipped the corner of a piece of paper to make sure it is really black vs. a mix of colors? A piece of paper dipped in the ink may show a hue of another color that is also leaking / causing the problem.

I don't know if the HP printers have a waste tank, but if your cartridges haven't been losing lots of ink then I don't know what to tell you. Even a waste tank wouldn't let loose a "pool of ink" all of a sudden.

I'd double check the color of the ink and your cartridges to see if one of them has a leak or has lost a bunch of ink.