HP C7280 & Generic Ink = Warranty Void?

Pleasure_Paulie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a HP C7280 which I purchased an extended warranty for, thus I'd prefer to keep the warranty valid!

However, I note that the printers system knows internally if the printer ink is genunie. Thus, if I install generic inks into this printer, will it somehow log that into the printers system - of which printer repairs can check and confirm generic inks were used.

This above and beyond swapping inks over to genuine before putting it in for repair.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Pleasure_Paulie said:
Hi,

I have a HP C7280 which I purchased an extended warranty for, thus I'd prefer to keep the warranty valid!

However, I note that the printers system knows internally if the printer ink is genunie. Thus, if I install generic inks into this printer, will it somehow log that into the printers system - of which printer repairs can check and confirm generic inks were used.

This above and beyond swapping inks over to genuine before putting it in for repair.
No printer in the world can know internally if the printer ink is genunie or not.

If your printer uses chips on cartridges and you refill them your printer can check the chip and know that your cartridge is suppose to be empty. That is what your printer can see.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Smile said:
Pleasure_Paulie said:
Hi,

No printer in the world can know internally if the printer ink is genunie or not.

If your printer uses chips on cartridges and you refill them your printer can check the chip and know that your cartridge is suppose to be empty. That is what your printer can see.
Smiles right... the information is usually shown that a refilled supply has been detected in the printhead and seperately in the printer. Sometimes the printer doesn't register the same as the printhead... why? no idea..

Pleasure_Paulie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
When I put a new ink cartridge into the printer, it checks and actually states on the screen "genunie HP ink inserted"...

Is this just some marketing rubbish to make you feel good about buying genunie ink, or again is this actually knowing the cartridge is genuine, thus allowing it to work?