HP C3180 and 97 cartdridge

klopstock

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
:( i have an HP Photosmart C3180 for which a 95 tricolor is recommended... cos it was cheaper I bought a double volume 97 instead but although it's the same size etc it doesn't work.

Is there any way I can persuade the printer to accept it or do I just say goodbye to the $45.

thanks

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
That was an expensive mistake. Some cartridges can be modded to become another one but that requires special equipment.

Many times, you will find that lower cost printers that specify the use of low capacity cartridges cannot use higher capacity cartridges. On the other hand, higher cost printers usually can use both the higher capacity cartridges as well as the lower capacity cartridges. So in your case I would not be surprised that IF you had a printer that used a 97 that the 95 would also work but not the reverse that you attempted with a lower cost printer.

A similar scenario also exists in the Canon world where some higher spec'd multifunction machines can use the PG-50 high capacity cartridges as well as the lower capacity PG-40. However some lower specified printers can use the PG-40 but will not accept the PG-50. In Canon's case they now have a PG30, PG40 and a PG50. So checking beforehand is a smart thing to do.

I have a PSC5610 on the ground that uses a #56 for the black and a #22 for the color. I also have another another HP that uses a #56 as well as a #57. The PSC5610 refuses to accept the #57. Oh yes, the #22 is a teeny tiny capacity cartridge and the #57 is three times the capacity............any surprise it did not work? not really but I tried anyways but doing so cost me nothing. I'm in the hunt for a #22.

Here's another trick. Try to find a used HP printer that uses the #97, and buy it for cheap if it comes with no cartridges. That way you use the 97 and the existing black cartridge will also work. Quite often this is cheaper than buying another cartridge. HP printers with no cartridges are not worth much.

klopstock

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
:| Thank you for that detailed reply although indeed the end result is not as positive as I had wished but at least now I am forewarned.

K