HP 94/96 confusion on the OfficeJet 6210... also, a 95/97 question.

SilentRob

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello there, I have an Officejet 6210 printer that just ran out of its included 94 ink. I looked on all sorts of refill/generic cartridge sites and they almost all listed the 96, which is nearly double the ink of a 94, as compatible with the OfficeJet 6210.

So, I went to this inkjet refill shop in town, and bought a remanufactured 96 cartridge... it clicked into the black ink slot just fine, but when I closed the printer, it beeped at me and displayed a message on the LCD: "Black ( 96 ) cartridge is not intended for use in this printer" or something like that... I could not bypass it with any of the rudimentary means I could think of.

This really confuses me, as I don't think so many online retailers would say the 96 is compatible with my OJ 6210 if it in fact was not. Does anyone else have this problem and/or know of a way to bypass it? It's not even the price I'm worried about... I'd just like to be able to go twice as long before refilling!

The other question I have is regarding the 95 vs the 97 cartridge... the 97 is advertised as twice the capacity as the 95, but the remfd 97 I purchased from the store in town is the same apparent size as the 95 I pulled out! What gives? Again, it's not the price I'm worried about... it's just nice to go that extra month before getting my hands all inky!

Besides, if I had to stay with the 94/95, I could have just used the ink I bought and not even had to deal with new cartridges (although they will be nice for a quick swap when I'm in a hurry).

Thanks in advance!

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You can only use the #94 blk on the 6210, but you CAN use the #97 OR the #95 colour.

The colour carts are the same size..but the #97 holds much more ink.

Too bad the 8ml #94 blk is the only black you can use...it's ridiculous to only have an 8ml cartridge for a multipurpose office machine. Another continuance in HP making cartridges smaller and smaller.....corporate greed at it's best.

SilentRob

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Oh well... it appears that HP has no desire to build long-term trust and respect with me, and is concerned only with getting as much $$$ out of me as possible as quickly as possible... I hope they enjoy what profits they *have* made off of me recently, for they have just joined Lexmark on my blacklist.

Before I go ahead and sell off my HP printers (preventing two new ones from being sold) and get a couple Canons, does anyone know of a firmware hack that allows the 96 cartridge to be used on the 6210?

I only ask because it appears as if the 96 would have no trouble moving about the printer, and that HP had to intentionally force customers to use the higher cost-per-droplet 94 cartridge in order to cause this problem... shame on them. Perhaps I can install the drivers for the officejet 7210??? Or would that just screw things up more?