HP 78s

unclefalter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi there,

I currently do hand-filling of inkjets as a sideline to my computer business. I have had a lot of problems recently with HP 78s, 25s, 23s, etc. I believe the problem is air, since print problems are not consistent -- it will print fine one or two pages and then streaks will appear, then i vaccuum a bit, prints fine again, then streaks, etc -- but I'm unsure how to solve the issue.

Anyone have a good technique for us ancient hand-fillers? I don't quite have $5000 to spend on a vaccuum refill system just yet, much though I would like to. If you have a working technique you'd like to share in detail please do. We were doing quite well with 78s etc for quite a while.. just recently it has been non-stop problems.

Thanks again!

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Unclefalter,

Welcome to the forum.

Look at post #54 in (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28&p=6) for a short discussion on "slinging" HP carts. This worked well for me on 56, 57 and 58 carts. It can be very difficult to "fix" a HP cart that has been run empty. The best solution is to never let run any color run empty, but this is obviously not under your control.

I assume that you have a "hand priming tool" to help pull air from the cart immediately after refilling.

You might also want to look at posts made by Craig Ross - he had a lot of helpful hints for refilling.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I refill cartridges as part of my living, and have a 99% success rate with these, so I know of your problem, and indeed, it is air.

Here is the technique.

1) Fold a paper towel 3-4 times and with a rubber band, seal it to the bottom of the cartridge.
2) Inject your inks into the 3 cylinders, and do not overfill.
3) Now, the important step which guarantees success. Remove the paper towel, and hold the cartridge upside down so that you're looking at the nozzles. With a tiny plastic bottle or plastic tube tightly inserted into the 1st chamber, squeeze until the air bubbles are gone, and the ink runs freely. Keep a paper towel handy to mop up any excess ink. Repeat with the other 2 chambers. When you squeeze the bottle and the ink runs freely from all 3 chambers, you're done!! Success every time.
Run a test page, and head cleaning...you'll see. If you're confused, contact me and I'll walk you through it.

The first few might be tough, but after a while, you'll get the hang of it and will have 100% success. Good luck!!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Manuchau, very interesting idea. I hope unclefalter tries it and reports back!

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I hope so....it's a perfect method, and for those people who are just starting to refill, this model can be difficult.

unclefalter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi there,

Sorry to be absent so long.. got sick with a really nasty flu.

Anyway, I will try that method now that I'm up and going again. Really appreciate the help. Can I use a small air compressor in place of the plastic bottle, etc? Where were you getting the bottle/tube from, just in case I have to find one??

Sounds like a great method. I'll try anything at this point.

One other question -- how do you ensure you don't inject too much ink (ie.. guard against accidentally overfilling a chamber that might be mostly full, even though the others are empty)

Thanks again!