HP 57 refilling headaches

jakm4n

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can someone provide some tips for refilling the HP 57 and HP 28 .. I'm having problems filling these types.. It says each color takes 5cc but the magenta keeps over flowing. I'm filling under a vacuum and manual filling. Each time I fill manual I have poor print results. An on my Select jet I cannot configure my ink lines to distribute different ink levels so I just looking for some new ideas.

Jakm4n

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
WElcome to this Forum, jakm4n . Help is always available here.

I refill lots of these...always manually.

Fold a paper towell 3-4 times. With a rubber band, hold the paper securely against the nozzle fairly tightly.. Fill your 3 syringes with 5ml of ink. Insert needle about 80% of the way in. S-L-O-W-L-Y inject imagenta ink until it starts to overflow,and dab the extra drop away. Then, suck out 1 ml ink. Do the same with the other 2 colours. It is important that the top of the sponge inside the chambers is not too wet.

Remove paper towel, and on a new, dry paper towel, briefly touch the printhead 2-3 times, until you see 3 distinct lines of colour.

This will work EVERY time, as long as there is no cartridge damage, and you do not overfill. As a general rule, it is better to underfill than overfill.

Good Luck!!!

Paddy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
4mls of ink each colour. Problem solved. HP 56/57/58's are great refills if they're looked after.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have been to the printsevices web site. While the printservices site does not seem to have a refill video on canon BCI-6 cartridges, I noted the videos seemed to come from ink-tec. So I went to the ink-tec web site and found their video on the Canon bci-6 cartridges. I was not impressed.

For those who don't bother to download the video, it recommended an initial injection of 2 ml of ink through the ink outlet hole followed by 5 ml of ink into the reserve tank. Not only would this leave the cartridge shortshotted in most cases, I felt the video added little to an understaning of the refill process, and failed to cover what could go wrong.

While I feel that a good video would really help a beginner, I certainly could not recommend the ink-tec video.---at least in the case of a Canon BCI-6.

kids

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Osage said:
I have been to the printsevices web site. While the printservices site does not seem to have a refill video on canon BCI-6 cartridges, I noted the videos seemed to come from ink-tec. So I went to the ink-tec web site and found their video on the Canon bci-6 cartridges. I was not impressed.
recommend the ink-tec video.---at least in the case of a Canon BCI-6.
Maybe Clips at Printerservices were made for 28.8Kbps online view users and not updated BCI-6 yet. If you want to download, Inktec 's available. View online video come to Printerservices

That's a good page. I think it will be updated soon!

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To kids,

The issue I had with the ink-tec video on the Canon BCI-6 refilling had nothing to do with speed---it had to do with content---which I downloaded in entirity and then played rather than viewing it as streaming content real time---and I assume those on the printservices website come directly from ink-tec.--as I downloaded another refilling video from the printservice website and it played as labeled from ink-tec.

Nor am I happy when you quote me---as "recommend"---when I in fact said "I could not recommend".

My additional comment is that if printservices wishes to be a credable website--it must vette its contents.----------or at least address those that question the credability of a particular video responsibly.

d86cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've noticed that site has a rip off version of the Cartridge World printer character logo. The video's are interesting, great text to speach conversion software in use there!

Without sealing the air hole on the top of the cartridge would the sponge not just soak up all the ink as your filling it with that method?

Regs,

Dan