HP 5550N or Xerox Phaser 7400N?

rex_p

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello, I need to choose between these two printers. The HP Color Laserjet 5550n or the Xerox Phaser 7400n. Our company needs a laser printer with the capability to print 11x17, and these two can. I researched both and what I found was:

Color speed - HP=28ppm and Xerox=36ppm
Natural Resolution= HP 600dpi x 600dpi Xerox=600dpi x 1200dpi
Both can print Tabloid 11x17
Xerox is about $300 less than the HP.

Reviews have stated that the Xerox does not print photo quality well, and qraphics aren't as good as the HP, but the reviews don't give you a visual example of this. The Ink is another subject. For color, you pay about $300 per toner for the HP, which is about $100.00 more than you would for the Xerox, but the Xerox doesn't yield as many pages per cartridge. The Xerox also has Printer Imaging units, that are just other components that wear out and need to be bought further down the line. I like the speeds, resolution and cost of the Xerox, but will the ink and imaging units come back to haunt me cost wise? Is the HP's color output much better than the Xerox's?

Please comment if you have dealt with either of these makers or models.

rex_p

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well, I decided on the Xerox. Much faster than the HP and from the sounds of it, the quality of the prints is not too horrible.

cliffordwagner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Please share your experience with the Xerox 7400n once you have a chance to use it for a while. I am looking for an 11x17 color laser and would like to know how this printer is for value and performance.

- Clifford