HP 1018 type but with duplexing?

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The HP 1018 has a reputation as a tough dependable inexpensive laser printer. But it doesn't have duplexing. Because I use WInXP, I'm looking for a used older type laser printer that does duplex printing
and has the same kind of reputation. Is there such a printer?

John

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know if a such printer exists but the HP LJ 1018 can do manual duplexing by printing first uneven pages and then after flipping the stack printing the even pages. Just follow the on screen instructions.

Here are the driver settings for duplex:

HP LJ1018 man duplex.jpg

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the duplex settings. I've come across a few basic laser printers with duplexing, but there are always reviews that say something like "don't ever buy this printer" I've always used Csnon ink jet printers, so I'm not familiar with laser printers and can't judge which are the good ones (except for my reading about the HP 1018).

Are you familiar with the HP P1606dn or the HP P2055dn? Both are Laserjets.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Sadly I don't know much about laser printers, I don't know the HP P1606dn and the HP P2055dn. My printer knowledge is most about older Canon ink printers for home use.

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I ended up buying an HP 1606dn (w/autoduplexing) on eBay. There are plenty of these and other similar models for sale in the range of $40-60 , with page counts of 15,000-200,000. The one I bought had a page count of 233 so almost new condition. It's small and lightweight, the plastic body is on the flimsy side...and prints very fast. It has drivers for my WinXP, and the setup wasn't much more than plugging it in and installing the driver package (downloaded from HP). The only thing I don't like are the fumes from each newly printed page, this is my first laser printer so I'm not used to that. I don't use it much, but the prints are clear and it'll be fine for my needs.