HowTo? Check out a used inkjet printer from local CraigsList?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
There is a local CraigsList ad for a used Canon iP4500 that is of interest to me.
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/ele/2240063573.html

I haven't purchased a used printer before, and would appreciate input on what to look for, and how to go about it.

The ad mentions it is missing a power cord, which seems like a significant liability. Seems like he is inviting a low-ball offer if the printer can't be easily tested, as I feel I'm justified to assume something may be wrong with it.

My thinking is to take along the power cord for my Pro 9000-2, and hope it is compatible. I'll also take along some cartridges to hopefully fill in any gaps of missing ink carts. And some paper. I don't have a PGI-5BK cart which the iP4500 uses, so hopefully the seller will have one that isn't empty.

If we can "bring it to life", my thinking is that I'll see what happens with a nozzle check, and then print out several test images. Also several letter size prints in a row to try to gauge the print speed ... in High-Quality and Standard-Quality. Guess I'll should plan to take my laptop along? Other things to check?

And some questions for the seller:
* Has it had non Canon OEM ink in it?
* Some guess as to how much printing has been done, expressed in equivalent letter size prints, or cartridges used.
* Other?