learner123

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score

learner123

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

to expand on my earlier post, i will add a twist -
I would like to produce my own posters, but each poster is unique, which rules out the possibility of creating a template and reeling thousands off (Which is what i suspect happens with typical film posters etc).
Do I therefore simply want a wide format printer ? If so, what would the cost of producing each poster be, approximately, after considering ink and paper cost.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I can print up to 13"x19" on my i9900 (probably too small for posters like you want to make). You can find good quality paper for about $1.25/sheet (25 sheet price). Depending on the darkness of your prints (your first example will use almost twice the ink of the other two), OEM ink should cost about $3/poster (for the last 2); bulk ink costs less than 20 cents/print. You must also consider whether you will be selling your prints and where they will be displayed. If you are selling them or if they will be exposed to sunlight, consider using pigment ink to improve the longevity.

Unless you need to print a lot of these posters, find someone in your area with a (pigment based ink) printer like one of these:
17" wide Canon
44" wide Canon
17" wide Epson
24" wide Epson
44" wide Epson

As you can see from the Epson prices, these printers aren't for the hobbyist. Not only are they expensive to buy - they need to be used (or cleaned) on a regular basis to prevent clogs. Visit some camera shops in your area and ask them who might have a printer like these in the size that you need and who accepts print work from the outside. Be prepared for sticker shock on the cost of each print - that's why high quality production work is done on presses like those shown in the previous link.

I'm guessing that you will be fussy about the colors (given the samples that you posted) - do you have a high quality, calibrated monitor in a properly lit work area to generate the artwork? Do you plan on soft proofing the artwork (with the target printer's profile) before submitting it for printing? If you aren't already familiar with color management, you will want to do so before making expensive prints that won't meet your expectations.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Yep, fine machines, but not so affordable :(