How to Utlize Pigment Black in for Images in Pixma iP4300?

lse

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Is there a way to use the pigment ink PGL-5BK in the Pixma iP4300 for printing images?

I understand that the printer automatically uses the pigment black ink for text, but I have a need to print some photoshop created 'text' (which is in JPEG format) that is more resistant to highlighting.
The JPEG files are then loaded onto MS Word and printed from there. The pigment ink is one of the main reasons why I upgraded to the iP4300 from my iP4000. But right now I'm not able to use it for images!

Is there any solutions you guys can come out with?

Perhaps there is a way to change a picture file to text,
Or to adjust some settings to use only Pigment Black ink?
Or refill my CLi-8BK with ink from the PGL-5BK?

Do let me know! Thanks for your time!

Cheers,
LSE

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Isn't it ridiculous to change a IP4000 for the IP4300 ? The large BCI-3eBK cartridge in the IP4000 is actually pigment based too, just like the PGI-5BK cartridge in the IP4300. You can try to set the paper type into normal paper and use photo paper instead to force the usage of pigment ink on it (be warned that the result may be disappointing since pigment ink doesn't adhere well on photo paper and may over time flake off) or use normal paper and pigment black is always used to print black text or pictures.

Don't put pigment ink into your CLI-8B cartridge or you may ruin your printhead since the pigment ink will only flow well in the large pigment cartridges (PGI-5 or BCI-3eBk). Clogged nozzles are very likely when doing so.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pharmacist is 100% correct. If you are looking for permanence, your 2nd printer should have been an Epson, most models of which use pigmented inks. I'd sell the ip4300 since it is more expensive to operate than the ip4000, and use the money to buy a low-end Epson or other printer using pigmented inks when you need non-fading images and text.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
lse said:
Perhaps there is a way to change a picture file to text,
Or to adjust some settings to use only Pigment Black ink?
Pharmacist and Manuchau are both correct in everything they say.

Let me just add that the printer does not know the difference between text and graphics or images. When printing on plain paper, the pigment black ink is used, never the dye black. When printing on any kind of photo paper, the dye black ink is used, never the pigment black.

You can get your printer to produce a very good greyscale image using just the pigment black ink if you use the Print Advisor to specify "Fast-print all-black text" and then plain paper. You must also change the Print Quality to High. This will work on both your iP4000 and your iP4300.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Why use the print advisor? Isn't the result the same as if you would use the following settings?
-plain paper
quality: high
greyscale: yes

lse

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi All!
Thanks for the replies, I'm very grateful for them.

To be honest, I'm very happy with the performance of the iP4300. Canon has improved on some of the very minute flaws of the 4000 and also the paper handling is actually much better. Not to mention it spits out my prints faster and also is less noisy than the 4000.

I was actually 'fooled' by this thing I saw on the canon website about the new pigment ink. Refer to the images on 'Bleed' and 'Marker Stability'

Canon.jpg

ghwellsjr said:
Let me just add that the printer does not know the difference between text and graphics or images. When printing on plain paper, the pigment black ink is used, never the dye black. When printing on any kind of photo paper, the dye black ink is used, never the pigment black.
I actually did a test, with my black picture (which is essentially letters in Jpeg form) and a string of text on the same line and printed out a page. Afterwhich I used a highlighter to run a line across both. The results were that the picture had smudged but not the text. I cannot confirm that the printer actually differentiated the 2 and used the 2 different inks separately - unless I do some chromatography.

But dont printers actually recognize fonts? I once meddled with a HP laser jet and it printed out pages of the different types of fonts it could recognize.

Manuchau said:
If you are looking for permanence, your 2nd printer should have been an Epson, most models of which use pigmented inks. I'd sell the ip4300 since it is more expensive to operate than the ip4000, and use the money to buy a low-end Epson or other printer using pigmented inks when you need non-fading images and text.
Ok I may consider an Epson now, but one reason why I chose Pixmas is that the printer is able to reprint what ever you need on exactly the same spot over and over again. I'm not sure if Epsons are good at that. My iP4000 was rather good at that but it had a 80% succcess rate. With the iP4300 it seems to be around 98% so I'm really pleased with this aspect of performance.

Meanwhile, I shall try to convert my image into a text font and see if there is a difference in printouts.

Any other suggestions? How good are Epson printer's handling btw?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Defcon2k said:
Why use the print advisor? Isn't the result the same as if you would use the following settings?
-plain paper
quality: high
greyscale: yes
You are so right, Defcon2k, but the reason I suggested using the Print Advisor was to emphasize how Canon uses the term "text" when, in fact, it applies to all printing, including graphics and images. But you have to also make sure you do not select duplex or borderless printing.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Personally I wouldn't go retrograde with ink in my printer.

According to the Service Manual for an IP4200,

PGI-5 Pigment Black Ink is used for:

- Plain Paper - monochrome and grey scale (GS is exclusively PGI-5 ink) (see Plain Paper exception below)
- Envelopes - monochrome and grey scale (GS exclusively PGI-5 Ink)
- Transparencies
- Duplex Printing On Plain Paper (That's what it says!)
- Camera Direct Printing on Plain Paper

CLI-8 Dye-Based Color Inks are used anytime color is printed and is used exclusively for:

- All Photo Paper types (including when Duplex printing)
- High Resolution Paper
- T-shirt Transfers
- CD-R's
- All Borderless Printing, on both PhotoPaper and Plain Paper

Maybe this might apply to you. Check the appropriate Service Manual for details.

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am new in this forum, but I did some tests with inks, I tried both Epson and Canons. I ended up using Epson
printers for photo prints period. However, when printing pictures (8x10's) I use only dye base inks on Epson printers
even the manufacture use ultra bright inks which I think is a pigment base. May be I am wrong but people seen those picture like it and I have hanging them without frame for a year under the sunroof without any fading noticed.
I am not a professional but I was told that pigment base ink can cause nozzle clog easier which is why I do not use them in the Epson refills. Water drops also got to the pictures but did not cause color run or smudges, also I tried to print photo mixing black pigment ink and color dye ink. The black part of that is dull black whereas the dye color is shinny, the 2 inks do not mix.