How to RePrime 1 Color on Artisan810

MostlyCarbon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It has happened a couple of times that the ink levels were reported incorrectly and I've run one of the colors out of ink.

This obviously is not supposed to happen, so there is no "built in" function to re-prime one color. I've been told multiple head cleanings is a poor solution due to the waste ink count.

The first time it happened it was black, I fixed it by 3-4 head cleanings mixed with printing many "black purge" pages. And I finally actually tried to apply a bit of positive pressure to the vent on the cartridge.

This time it's Yellow.. what is the best way to reprime yellow?

Thanks for any help,
CArb

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Positive pressure may not be the best idea, not just because there's a slight chance it could damage the printhead, but also I've noticed that if the print head is parked on the park pad it is sealed. Applying pressure to one color will get ink into that print head but then it also forces air into the other print heads, then you get another color with a purge issue. I suppose if you can get the print head to the middle you could force ink out of individual colors but the 710 and 810 would be harder to do such a thing. On my Artisan 50 I just set it to replace cartridges and I can force out clogs and bubbles in the middle on top of the over spray pads.

MostlyCarbon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried a small amount of positive pressure, but it was not very effective.

I can't seem to find the option to "Replace Cartridge" unless the ink levels are low.

I've tried a couple head cleanings but still no yeller. I'm afraid to print "Yellow Purge" sheets since there's no yellow. On the other hand.. this does seem to be the logical way to get the printer to draw up the yellow ink.

Won't I burn out the head or something by printing "Purge" pages trying to reprime a color if it has run dry?

Thanks for you help,
Carb.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Plug up all the other colors and perform a head clean. It will only pull on the single color that allows air into the cartridge. Makes the head clean pull 5 times more than normal on the single channel. With this, two head cleans will liklely get ink back to the head. Obviously after that, you remove the plugs from the air vent on the other colors to restore normal operation. Wait a minute or more between head cleans.

Before doing this make sure all the carts are full of ink. This is because the air remaining inside the cartridge will expand. If it is full, less air to expand when pulled.

Should take care of it.

MostlyCarbon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you very much, I'll try this technique right now.

Unfortunately it seems that the ink levels in the carts and what's being reported are not reliable sometimes, I ran out before it reported low.
Any idea why the chips are reporting incorrectly?

I'll let you know how my re-priming goes, thanks again!

Carb

MostlyCarbon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've made sure all the tanks are full. Plugged the vents on the working ones. Did a couple head cleanings. Pull Vents. Nozzle check? No good, still not primed. Replace vents, 2 more head cleanings. Pull vents. Nozzle check? Dang :(

Last time this happened I also printed some "Purge" pages. Basically an image of purely the color I want to use. That was a bad idea right? Cause trying to print in exclusively the missing ink (producing blank sheets) will burn out the print head? Or can I do that?

Thanks,
Carb

EDIT:

A couple more head cleanings and when I pulled the vent plugs after I could see there were no more bubbles in the line. Printed a test page or 2 and I'm back in business. Only thing to mention I guess is that it took 6 or 7 cleanings to get it, for future reference and of course:
thank you to all those who posted to help me. :D