How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

Nick Marques

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP / Canon Lasers and Inkjet
Hi all,

I know this thread is rather stale but I still haven't resurrected my PRO-1.... To recap, I used it a bit new back in 2016. It still has the original tanks in it.

What are my chances of recovering this thing? Should I buy a new printhead and OEM tanks for starters? I know that will cost around $500 USD... and I know I'd need instructions on printhead replacement.

If I were to replace the printer, I'd probably go to a PRO-300, but don't really want to drop more cash than I have to right now...

Deba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Our Canon Pro-1 started making vertical lines on photos 5 prints ago. On the second print, it appeared the red ink was not working anymore. The red tank was low but not enough for the machine to holler about yet. We replaced the red cartridge hoping the problem would be fixed. The vertical lines remained and the coloring was still off on the last couple of prints. The printer shows no errors.

Yesterday we did 2 regular cleanings, 1 deep clean and 4 nozzle checks. From the nozzle checks, we could see a problem still existed.

I will attach the latest nozzle check I did an hour ago and the last one from yesterday. The problem seems to be in group #3. I am also seeing red starting to creep into the CO portion on the print out. Yesterday's nozzle check showed only a thin red line on the CO. If the printhead is the cause, I need to replace it. As luck would have it, I have a sealed OEM printhead already. This is our second machine (2016-17), the first was dead in the box but out of warranty by the time we tried to set it up. Canon customer service was of no help so we bought machine #2. An expensive lesson.

We have only ever used OEM tanks and inks. For years, we have printed at least one photo every 4 weeks hoping to keep the printer happy. We now have an unhappy printer.

It took many different Google searches to bump into this forum. Like others, I don't know for sure if my problem is still just a clog or if the printhead is dead. After reading all 39 pages, I have a feeling I know the answer. Am I lucky enough to be saved by more cleanings and nozzle checks, am I looking at replacing the printhead or am I researching a new printer and trying to sell off my OEM printhead and supply of inks?

Thanks! nozzle check 11-28.jpgnozzle check 11-29.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Our Canon Pro-1 started making vertical lines on photos 5 prints ago.
Yes your print head is damaged beyond repair..

There are several ways to protect your print head when using the printer, first is to start every print run with a nozzle check , and if that is clear and proper then it’s safe to proceed to print.. Otherwise run a clean cycle..

The quickest way to damage the print head is to continue to make prints while there is an issue with one or more of the colours missing, when the print head is used without all inks present then the nozzles overheat and burn out the electronics that control these colour nozzles..

When you need to do now to replace the current print head and then the printer will work ok for you..

O’ you said your new printer out of the box had a damaged print head, that’s not so, and if you still have the print head it will work if inserted into the printer again..

The Pro 1 has AI controlling its Epsom chip and sometimes it gets it wrong, powering the printer off for an hour, unplugged and then reinserting the power plug usually causes a reset and the printer will then work..

I hope this information is useful to you..

Deba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Yes your print head is damaged beyond repair..

There are several ways to protect your print head when using the printer, first is to start every print run with a nozzle check , and if that is clear and proper then it’s safe to proceed to print.. Otherwise run a clean cycle..

The quickest way to damage the print head is to continue to make prints while there is an issue with one or more of the colours missing, when the print head is used without all inks present then the nozzles overheat and burn out the electronics that control these colour nozzles..

When you need to do now to replace the current print head and then the printer will work ok for you..

O’ you said your new printer out of the box had a damaged print head, that’s not so, and if you still have the print head it will work if inserted into the printer again..

The Pro 1 has AI controlling its Epsom chip and sometimes it gets it wrong, powering the printer off for an hour, unplugged and then reinserting the power plug usually causes a reset and the printer will then work..

I hope this information is useful to you..
Thank you for confirming my print head is dead. I assumed that was the case. Once again, I can tell my husband I am always right!:celebrate

We threw away printer #1 because Canon said it was dead, out of warranty and nothing could fix it. I wish we had known then about unplugging to it to make it reset. I saved the inks and the printhead from it because they were never installed. The doorstop was then fed to the garbage.

I only have the one printer now with the dead printhead. I do have the OEM factory sealed print head I saved from the first printer.

I understand from reading, there are specific instructions on how to remove the dead print head and how to replace it with the one I have on hand without upsetting the crazy lady inside the printer. Is it still possible to get a copy of the instructions? I can not find where or how to send you a message as you instructed others to do.

Thank you!!!!!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I can not find where or how to send you a message as you instructed others to do.
The messaging system on this forum is called conversation and can be found on the tool bar top right side next to your login name and looks like an envelope..

Capture.PNG

I will PM you with the instructions so there’s no need for you to do anything.. Patience while I locate it..

PM on its way..

Last edited:

Deba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
The messaging system on this forum is called conversation and can be found on the tool bar top right side next to your login name and looks like an envelope..

View attachment 15702
I will PM you with the instructions so there’s no need for you to do anything.. Patience while I locate it..

PM on its way..
I'm feeling a bit like a ding bat right now...I was only looking for the word message. Conversation didn't click in my brain. Oops!

Thank you so much for helping me to get this printer up and running. She is much happier now and making beautiful prints again. You are my hero for 2023!

One last question if I may. If we do not have a photo to print every month, would running a nozzle check be enough to keep her happy? In the owner's manual, Canon states l should make a print once a month but they never mention the importance of a nozzle check prior to printing. If a monthly photo didn't use all of the colors, would the print head or random color tubes begin to clog/dry out because they weren't specifically used?

Per your advice, we will always run a nozzle check prior to printing a picture in the future. I am so excited the printer is ready to play again! Thank you again!!!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
would running a nozzle check be enough to keep her happy?
A nozzle check is more than enough to keep her happy..:)
If a monthly photo didn't use all of the colors, would the print head or random color tubes begin to clog/dry out because they weren't specifically used?
No any photo is more than acceptable..

Deba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
A nozzle check is more than enough to keep her happy..:)

No any photo is more than acceptable..
Thank you for the additional info. You rock!

Have an amazing day!

kevinhughes1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 1 and 10s
Hi all sorry I'm late to the party I've recently got my pro 1 out of storage after about 2 years. Nothing was coming out so I put some wet towels inside with deionized water and it started working on the nozzle check. It was printing various patterns but I can't do a clean because my DGY and C are running out. I'll attach two pics one is after putting wet towels in, the other is after a few nozzle checks, it's started to dry out again so definitely needs a clean. Just wondering if it's worth spending the £40 on inks or is the printhead dead ?? Thank you.

Attachments

• 17068220860041190225220845894515.jpg
    17068220860041190225220845894515.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 17068221194906584250758406585673.jpg
    17068221194906584250758406585673.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 27