How to remove PRO-1 printhead ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5150,Pro10s,Prui3Mk3s+
The nozzle check of printer n#2 seems almost perfect to me, except for the lower half of the GY band. It doesn't looks like clogs but irreversible electrical damage. Really a pity, because the nozzles of the other colors appear to be in perfect shape.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Picked up two Canon Pro-1 printers and I don't know the history of them. They both had original Canon ink tanks in them, I bough a few 3rd party ink tanks to help with cleanings and nozzle checks (I have not printed out anything as per the advice in this thread). I think both are fubar unless the printhead(s) get replaced but will post the nozzle checks here for verification / advice. I suppose the ink carts would be worth something as they can be used for refill and chip replacements, not sure of the power supply or logic boards would be worth parting out of these machines. If they need printheads (and I suspect they do), I will just part these printers out. They are in good shape physically, and it would be a shame to toss them, but they do take up a good amount of space and they seem to be very temperamental and have to be used pretty much daily to keep them working properly. Not to mention the appetite for ink these printers seem to have. Please see the attached files for the nozzle checks from each printer.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions you may have
As you already understood I would be careful by buying old printers, you can't make a living by refurbishing them.

Only when you know the printer very well, have spare printheads, carts, ink, resetter and the like and you limit yourself to one for production and one spare, the time spent is remunerated by lower printing costs (and the satisfaction to understand how these things work).
It is a hobby.

Last edited:

Xenawiseq

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Thanks for the comments. I basically got these printers for next to nothing (like $5 each!) and I fully expected them to be trouble. I have to say I am surprised really by both and especially printer #2 how well they actually seem to work. I guess I have think about if I want to get one or both working again with a print head replacement. From the looks of the nozzle checks, I would think that a printhead replacement would bring both printers back to 100%. Do you think this is a solid diagnosis? Or is there something lurking in the shadows after I get the printheads replaced?

The cartridges are easy to refill and swap out the chips, it would be nice to to have an A2 sized printer but I am just stepping into these high end photo printers. Since I really don't have much invested in these printers as of yet, maybe it would be worth $300-400 to get one going and then another $250 to get the second one going. So for about $650 I suppose I could get two working Pro-1 printers, not that I really need two of them. Then again, for like $1200 I could get the Pro-1000 which is an A2 printer. Sometimes more choices is not a good thing!

Anyway, my main ask would be, does it look like printheads would bring both of these printers back to 100%? Or should I just toss these in the trash and never look back?

Thanks again for you time and thoughts.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP3
Thanks again for you time and thoughts.
Ha,Ha, the fool seeks more punishment..:hugs

The answer to your question is yes 100%, a new print head would get them both back working as good as new, no question about that, but printer 2 with the best nozzle print may have issues with the waste ink cartridge later.

The waste ink issue is the only thing lurking as you say, O’ the Pro 1 is A3 not an A2 printer, speaking of which, and it might be better cost wise, getting a Pro 1000, new print heads and new ink will set you back quite a bit..