How to refill CLI-221 and PGI-220

Joshua

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
How to do you refill the CLI-221 and PGI-220 and check that the sponge is full of ink since it's covered my the by the cartridge?
Thanks in advance.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you refill using the German method, you won't have to worry about how much ink goes into the sponge as it will take whatever amount is correct. This isn't true when top filling a cartridge.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Joshua

When I refill my CLI-521 cartridges (CLI-221, Top Fill) using squEasy bottles, I dont have a problem filling the sponge area of the cartridge at all.
I fill the reservoir to (never over fill) and leave the cartridge to stand for several minutes and then top up to again, then reseal with hot wax.
By leaving the cartridge to stand for a while the ink in the sponge is left to finds its own level and therefore I have never had a problem with them as yet.. :)

Joshua

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Okay, because some people have reported the sponge not being able to be refilled through either of those methods when it runs dry.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Joshua because some people have reported the sponge not being able to be refilled through either of those methods when it runs dry.
Whichever method you choose to fill your cartridge with, the sponge will absorb the right amount of ink..

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ghwellsjr said:
If you refill using the German method, you won't have to worry about how much ink goes into the sponge as it will take whatever amount is correct. This isn't true when top filling a cartridge.
When I said the sponge will not take the correct amount of in when top filling a cartridge, I didn't mean it won't take any ink, I meant it will take too much ink, unless you follow a plan to limit it like The Hat does. Another method that nche11 uses is to half fill the reservoir, let the ink absorb into the sponge, then cover the air vent with your thumb, top off the reservoir, and plug the refill hole.