How to reach ink waste tank? /Dismantle i960

pepperinapress

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, and uh oh. I was trying to follow the instructions for the work-around on the "ink waste tank nearly full" problem with the Canons. I have an i-960. I have removed the plastic cover from the top exposing the mechanism, but I can't figure out how to actually get at the ink tank/felt area with all the ink. The work-around instructions say: "The mechanism is held down in place in the case by two screws at the very bottom on the outside bottom of the metal chassis inside. Remove these screws then lift up the mechanism. It should lift out fairly easily, but remain attached by wires-- just place it on the top edge of the case."
I can't find the right screws! I've removed three screws now and the thing still won't budge -- I'm getting very worried. If anyone can help that would be FANTASTIC.

thanks

kenban

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The waste tank is just a pad that is in the bottom of the printer. The printers do not have a way to tell if the pad is full of ink so the warning on the computer is caused by a counter that just records every time ink should have gone into the pad. Once it occurs a set number of times you get the warning. Experience has shown this does not mean its actually full if this is the first time you are getting the warnings. I would think about just resetting the counter unless you are sure you want to replace or clean the pad. I don't remember the instructions off the top of my head but you just use the power and paper feed buttons to put the printer into service mode then its one of the options.

pepperinapress

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks!
Well... if I can't figure out how to get this the rest of the way unstuck I'll definitely do that.
Does anyone know where to locate the rest of the screws to get to the waste tank/pad?

thank you!

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think there are 3 screws only. Two of them holding the main printer assembly on the bottom chassis. One on the left and the other on the right side. The 3rd is holding the switch assembly (power, resume, etc.) and the wires connect to it. Have someone holding the bottom chassis while you pull the printer mechanism up. It will come out. You may feel scared for a possibility of breaking something. But there is really nothing to break. The pads inside are probably full of waste ink in black color. There are large pieces and small pieces too. You can take them out to rinse them with water. You should wear a pair of gloves. The amount of waste ink in the pads will surprise you. But it will wash off easily. Dry the pads as much as you can so the waste ink tank will hold as much waste ink as possible before getting full again.

pepperinapress

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you! I managed to get it pulled apart... you're right, I would've thought I was going to break it... Only the right 1/3 of the pads had ink on -- the rest was white and dry. But I rinsed them all out anyway, considering all the trouble of pulling the printer apart!
I'll have to wait till they're dry to see if I can put it back together properly.... I definitely removed more than three screws trying to figure it out. Boyfriend's tool box does have a design application after all...

pepperinapress

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Everything's dry, I've put it back together and reset, now just waiting a while before I try printing... I took some photos and will try to post them before I leave for Australia (why does equipment always fail when you're desperately busy...?)

pepperinapress

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So.... what have I done wrong? I reassembled everything and replaced the printhead (not completely sure I did that right...), replaced the cartridges which were stored upright with tape over the openings. Now when I hit Print it "prints" -- making all the right noises and actions, I guess -- but the page comes out blank! Where did I mess things up?

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Assume you ran the head alignment and cleaning.
Cleaning just sucks ink through the head to the waste tank.
Remove the carts.
Remove the head, carefully press head to damp tissue, does the ink look like it's getting to the head?

pepperinapress

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi -
yes I ran the alignment and cleaning, although the cleaning just produced a sheet of blank paper after making all the regular noise & fuss
I did as you suggested above and it does look like the ink's getting to the head -- it makes an imprint of all the colours surrounded by some black.
What else could it be... is there a wrong way to reinsert the head? It seems right but it didn't make an particular click or snap...
Could the cartridges have dried out somehow? It was only overnight, I kept them upright and covered with tape. I don't think the tape was super airtight or anything, but they were covered....
I feel like I've stumbled at the finish line :)
thanks for any suggestions!
helen