How to make the chip last forever on Canon IP tanks (maybe)

Rich2841

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Years ago I bought a canon S 550 and was told how the tanks work to show when the level was low.

There is a prisim on the bottom of the inside bottom of the tank. When the tank is full the light travels around the prisim but when it gets low it goes back down.
Therefore, if you look at the new style tank they have a long plastic channel under the part that clips the tank into the printer, this I believe is used to route the light back.

Now, I looked tonight on the bottom where there is a prisim indent, why can't one take black sillicon caulk and fill this to prevent the light returning to the chip?

Go here for an explaination as to how this works.

This week I'm taking one of the chips to an friend who manufactures chips and is retired from NASA and was responsible for many electronic controls on the shuttle. I HATE CANON for their illegal monoply! Maybe there is a way to use a cheap (5 cents or less for the whole conversion) of fiber optic to route the light so the chip will never fail.

Anyway, go to this site and for those who have tanks almost empty you may wish to try filling up the whole under the prisim and see what happens when the tank goes down.

PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS HEREl

Later
Rich
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/canon_mp970_pg2.html

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
The problem with that is that the chip records nozzle firings and when it feels the tank should be empty you will have to perform the bypass to disable ink level monitoring.

Rich2841

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Please explain further about:

"""...you will have to perform the bypass to disable ink level monitoring."""

If this is the case then how do the refill kits work?
This is something I need to know before I speak with my NASA buddy.

Thanks
Rich

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
When the cartridge reads empty you will start getting messages that eventually will tell you to press a certain button to bypass ink level monitoring. You can refill the cartridges but they will always indicate empty and you will have to physically monitor ink levels. Ink level monitoring can be re enabled by installing new oem cartridges. he chips are designed specifically for the cartidges an each color chip is different. To date thay have not been reverse engineered. Your manual should have info on bypassing monitoring in the section under replacing ink tanks.

Rich2841

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, I will print this info before my meeting this week. Maybe we can finally tell Canon what we think of them by doing some alterations that are permanent.

Why some organization hasn't sued Canon yet is beyond me. The Car companies were sued years ago concerning warranty with oil/filters and other parts and they lost big time. Seems that if your an American Company the governmnet goes after you but if your foreign its anything goes.

Rich

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
You should speak about a simple device that could be home made from radio shack parts or not expensive to buy. Not like the 3000$ resetters that fail on new canon models either.

The job this gagget needs to do:

1. Read data from canon chip (the information is excrypted but who cares)
2. Store the read information in memory
3. Write the information to another chip.

You would just:

1. Take genuine cartridge read chip infomation.
2. Plug in empty cartridge write the unused cartridge information.

Your buddy needs to decipher canon chip pin-out where is VCC, ground data+ data- lines etc. Make or perhaps use any available cheap programmer something like this http://www.p10link.net/plugwash/picsquirt/

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Sorry to have to break this to you but Bill is right... there's absolutely no point in trying to bypass the prism system.. The chip does indeed record nozzle firings and will eventually decide the cartridge is out of ink whether you have loads or no ink in it at all.

Proof is simple enough in that myself and a number of people have been using these cartridges with Continuous ink supply systems where the ink level has been kept constant. The empty cartridge warning still fires so in that respect you'd be wasting your time.

Smile's suggestion is the only way to go if you're planning on any kind of bypass system I'm afraid.