How to make HP Deskjet D1668 to print on a Printed Circuit Board

kswamyna

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

Any ideas how to print diagram on to a Printed Circuit Board that is about 3mm thinkness and cannot be folded.

Thanks,
Swamy

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Reverse the image and print it on transfer paper. Then transfer the image from the paper to the PC board with a hot iron. The image will now appear in the proper orientation.

kswamyna

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks, I'm looking for a way to print it directly on to the board. Any amount of tweaking to make it work direct is preferable.

Regards,
Swamy

kswamyna

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm not very sure where various Sensor are placed, I could find a sensor placed on the left side of the door which when opened stop printer from printing and presents the cartridge, which I could over come, not sure if there are any other sensors which I should take care before opening it

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Paper handling on all recent desktop inkjets is done with a curved path somewhere in the printer. This is done to make the printer compact to fit on a desktop. Also, no common desktop available will handle 3mm thick media.

You will have to modify a desktop printer considerably to perform your task.

People in this forum have enough of a problem getting ink on paper. I suspect printing on copper will require very special "inks".

Perhaps someone else here knows of a "flatbed" printer?

Wayne

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I saw flatbed PCB printing mods a long time ago on a PCB Yahoo group for the R200-R340 series of printers as well as the C84/C86/C88 series. Apparently OEM durabrite inks worked the best, but I don't think anyone really did well vs just using toner transfer sheets. It's been a long time since I looked into it so people may have gotten better results by now. Unfortunately I don't remember any of the group names or links.

kswamyna

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I currently follow toner transfer method with a laser jet and get very good result, the problem is with two side boards where it becomes bit cumbersome and wanted to check if anybody have done it.

Moreover I get to see lots of videos which show that they are able to achieve with general printer ink + heating the printed board in oven, before etching. I was not sure if this is right forum to ask but remembered I had an account here so went with my query and Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is there is any good flat bed printer that's available in market that you think would come close to my requirement - Let me know.

Regards,
Swamy

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Are thinner and flexible PCB materials available that might work?? Just a thought....you might get the result to work by changing the media?

Wayne

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
One thing I know is that on the T-Shirt Forums there are instructions for converting many different types of Epson printers into T-Shirt printers, which is a kind of flatbed printing method. You may be able to find something relevant over there.

shanebiliss01

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
A transfer paper will surely do it. Just don't forget to set your printer's paper configuration. There is a choice in there for transfer papers.