How to make a Canon CD Tray

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
From time to time I have seen posts on this forum and other forums from people with design examples on how to make a CD Tray. I've actually found several that have provided the templates and describe how easy it is.

Well I've tried several different templates and I must be doing something very wrong because my iP6600D keeps spitting them out. I do have a Canon "C" tray as an example and it always works fine. There must be some detail that I'm missing.

I have attempted to contact the people that created the templates but there is no way to reach them or no forum to contact them and ask questions. At one time a lot of this infomration was posted on Steve's Digicam web site, but there must have been some kind of problem since every piece of information about CD Trays has been eliminated from that site.

If anyone has had success making one of these, please comment on your process.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Have you looked at this thread? With over 1500 posts, it has a lot of information. I'm pretty sure that the answer to your question is contained somewhere in that thread.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Trigger 37 said:
I have attempted to contact the people that created the templates but there is no way to reach them or no forum to contact them and ask questions. At one time a lot of this infomration was posted on Steve's Digicam web site, but there must have been some kind of problem since every piece of information about CD Trays has been eliminated from that site.

This is the result of my initial trawl.:-

http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=138

please confirm is this ok or not.......or i will have a second look

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I was a member of the CD/DVD Tray thread on Steve's Digicam forum that Grandad35 linked to - joined it on Dec 29, 2004. After the firmware change that allowed for CD/DVD printing on the ip4000/ip5000 printers, I was able to build at least two "B" type trays that eventually worked. I followed the templates that some member provided from a real Canon tray. The placement of the reflectors was very critical. I think you may actually find some of my posts on that thread that talk about the problems I had and the fixes. I just looked for the homemade trays, but I can't seem to find them right now. One was made from one of the thin CD/DVD cases; the other one from some plastic sheeting (painted black) I had from my model railroading work. Both worked OK, but I ended up getting some real trays - actually Canon USA was selling them for a brief period (before they realized that they weren't supposed to) and I was able to get two of them. Search the thread - the templates may still be there plus lots of discussion on the tray building.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Grandad35,...Thanks again for you unlimited knowlegde. The Sad news is that forum you linked me to had 78 pages of posts. that's a lot to wade through. Most of it is 3 years old, but it finally gets up to Dec 2007. Anyway, in those pages I found someone else that had a similar problem and I tried his fix because it sounded so simple,... would you believe it worked. All he did was bevel the top side of his home made Tray. I had already beveled the top of mine so I decided to try and bevel the bottom, since I have a real "C" tray I noticed that it is also beveled on the bottom. So I did it and it worked fine.

It seems to have not much to do with the square holes and the alum. but more to do with the sensitivity of the thickness of the tray. The other thing is having the top totally black. One finally point,.. I found a post from one person that indicated there is no need for the square holes nor the alum foil. He says it works fine if you just print the image of the tray on Photo Glossy paper, and the square holes just have to be white, and of course everything else must be black,.. at least the top. There is no need for cutting squares, just the circle for the CD. I would think that Photo Matt paper would be a much better choice. It all depends on how sensitive the Photocells are for detecting the location squares.

I'll report back whether it works or not. It seems that people have stop posting to Steve's thread.

headphonesman,... Your original sitet was "5 easy steps", and now it is the "Damm Printer" I believe that site was the first place I learned about my iP6600D and used the 5 steps to modify my printer. Thanks amillion.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Trigger 37 said:
It seems to have not much to do with the square holes and the alum. but more to do with the sensitivity of the thickness of the tray. The other thing is having the top totally black. One finally point,.. I found a post from one person that indicated there is no need for the square holes nor the alum foil. He says it works fine if you just print the image of the tray on Photo Glossy paper, and the square holes just have to be white, and of course everything else must be black,.. at least the top. There is no need for cutting squares, just the circle for the CD. I would think that Photo Matt paper would be a much better choice. It all depends on how sensitive the Photocells are for detecting the location squares.
Just a tip on the aluminium, you can use aluminium tape (usually used in boilers, etc..) to handle this part.. easy to cut, but it's VERY adhesive so you need to be careful to cut it properly and smooth it into position right first time.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I just went through this trying to get a D tray.

Just call Canon, mine cost $4.55 plus shipping.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
nanosec,... Please expand on your comment. I've been on the phone with Canon parts and they refuse to sell any tray in the US. So how did you convince them to do otherwise. I suspect that you got connected with a new employee that does not know the rules. What numbers did you call, and where are you located.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hiya,

Just caught your post.

I'm in Canada, which may explain why I've gotten it with no hassles.

I've gotten 2 actually, in retrospect it's probably good to order more than one for the size of the carton they ship it in.

Cost is about $11 total for 1 tray+shipping

1888-832-4719