How to keep ink from transferring off of page?

Jeanette

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am printing recipe cards for a recipe album for my niece, so these cards will be stored in plastic sleeves. After a while, the ink will stick to the plastic, won't it. I've seen this happen before. Is there any way to keep this from happening, like spray some kind of sealant on the paper after printing?

Hope this isn't a stupid question!! :eek:
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jeanette

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've seen that happen with laser printed documents but I haven't noticed this with inkjet prints.

Jeanette

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Dan,
I'm using an HP psc 2210 all-in-one and am printing on Avery post card stock, non glossy. From what the other person posted, maybe the inkjet ink doesn't stick to the plastic insert? Maybe it was a laserjet I saw. I assumed a laserjet wouldn't do that, but an inkjet would.

Thanks!
Jeanette

dan_uk_1984

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Jeanette,

As long as the ink is dry to touch, then you should have no problems. It may be worth leaving the prints to dry for a couple of hours (when printing Photo's on Glossy paper its recomended 24hrs before putting them in an album etc)

Dan

Jeanette

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the information!!

Jeanette

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
You can also try some alcohol based lacquer spray. There are different brands but usually hair spray without additives works just fine.

Also you can use hair spray if you want to print on a surface to hold ink better. Spray it with hair spray then wait for it to dry then print.

Jeanette

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Would you have a brand name of hair spray without additives?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
The general rule is you need a hair spray without vitamins and transparent color.

Spray on plain paper to verify that spray is transparent without any color cast. Only light coat is needed. Do not spray from too short distance about 40cm is fine.

You can try to spray after printing and before. Use the method that works better for your paper ink combination. On material like plastic you need to spray then print in super light mode (~ -40 on intensity in printer driver). You can even print on normal non-printable CD's DVD's if your printer can print on them.